Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Salty Deutsches Rotes Kreuz (DRK) Hewer Dagger: A Good Deal?

Article about: In addition to some other daggers, I recently saw this DRK Hewer dagger for sale for, I think \\$350 USD, although it might have been \\$400. I don't know a whole lot about these daggers yet, bu

Default Salty Deutsches Rotes Kreuz (DRK) Hewer Dagger: A Good Deal?

In addition to some other daggers, I recently saw this DRK Hewer dagger for sale for, I think $350 USD, although it might have been $400. I don't know a whole lot about these daggers yet, but I know that excellent examples with scabbard & frog can be over $1,000. Given this one's condition what do you guys think about the price? Is it worth more?

Thanks for giving it a look and your opinion!
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Salty Deutsches Rotes Kreuz (DRK) Hewer Dagger: A Good Deal?   Salty Deutsches Rotes Kreuz (DRK) Hewer Dagger: A Good Deal?  

Salty Deutsches Rotes Kreuz (DRK) Hewer Dagger: A Good Deal?   Salty Deutsches Rotes Kreuz (DRK) Hewer Dagger: A Good Deal?  

Salty Deutsches Rotes Kreuz (DRK) Hewer Dagger: A Good Deal?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Salty Deutsches Rotes Kreuz (DRK) Hewer Dagger: A Good Deal?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Salty Deutsches Rotes Kreuz (DRK) Hewer Dagger: A Good Deal?

Yeah, it's rough......

But I think this $350 is a good price, provided it is an original period piece,
    if you had to have one. It may 'clean up' a little also.
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks, Steve. I believe it's original, but of course I am very new to this so hopefully someone will be able to confirm.
    You mention "clean up." I was going to post a question somewhere on the forum (do you know the appropriate place?) regarding how people "clean up" their daggers and other militaria (medals, etc.) I know there are probably differing opinions on whether or not to do this and when but if you would like to clean up an item, what are some safe, preferred methods? Do you have any info or links on instructions? Does doing this or not doing it affect value?

Thanks,
    Adam

Quote by aechols83 View Post
    Thanks, Steve. I believe it's original, but of course I am very new to this so hopefully someone will be able to confirm.
    You mention "clean up." I was going to post a question somewhere on the forum (do you know the appropriate place?) regarding how people "clean up" their daggers and other militaria (medals, etc.) I know there are probably differing opinions on whether or not to do this and when but if you would like to clean up an item, what are some safe, preferred methods? Do you have any info or links on instructions? Does doing this or not doing it affect value?

Thanks,
    Adam
    Hi Adam !

Yes, there is a section on 'restoration and refurbishing' within the forum. You can find it by hitting the search bar at the top right side of the 'Home' page.

I have used a product called 'Flitz', which will bring out a bit of shine to a dull or stained blade, but not too drastically. It is a tube of cream which is available at 'Canadian Tire' and other hardware stores here. The more you use it, or, the harder you buff, the better the blade will look. Others are known to use very fine steel wool, which can remove too much material if you are not careful.

I would not use anything on the pommel or crossguard of this piece, as I think they are zinc or aluminum alloy, and the plating is what makes them 'shine'. If you remove the plating the metal will appear more dull than when you started. If I were to clean them at all, it would be very lightly.

You can over-do it, and kill a piece, which will have a great effect on the value, but if you are slow and methodical, it will make it that much better. By lightly going over a knife such as this one would not hurt it's value, and may improve it some, if done correctly. I would probably use a 'cold blue' treatment to the scabbard to 'blacken' the spots worn off the scabbard.
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi Adam, I can't magnify your photos, but from what I can see, it looks to be authentic. Just keep in mind, if you decide to buy it, the dagger has obviously been subjected to the elements. It looks like maybe it was left in a barn or a very, very damp area. You might ask if the guy will give you a five day inspection period so you can see how bad the rust is under those grips. Just a thought.

Jay

Personally, I would pass on it. While it is original, these hewers are not over popular with some collectors, and any possible future re-sale might be difficult. Save up and buy a good condition example.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Personally, I would pass on it. While it is original, these hewers are not over popular with some collectors, and any possible future re-sale might be difficult. Save up and buy a good condition example.

Cheers, Ade.
    On another thread regarding SA daggers,
    Adam has told us he will pass on this one because of condition issues.......!
    Regards,

Steve.

I think daggers is one area of collecting where is pays to be picky about condition. Uniforms, caps etc, I am prepared to live with the odd moth hole etc.

Cheers, Ade.

Smile Re: Salty Deutsches Rotes Kreuz (DRK) Hewer Dagger: A Good Deal?

Hi, guys. Thanks for the advice on this. It just didn't "feel right" to me. Ade, I've decided to take the route you suggested and will be saving up for a nice example. I think you're right that re-selling this Hewer in an attempt to upgrade might be difficult. Not sure why, but it does seem they are only popular here and there... I have seen them go fast and also linger. I realize now that that combined with the condition issues would make it difficult.
    I saw this one below that I really liked and maybe I will be able to put it on layway while I save up. I already made an offer to buy an SA dagger that you guys all counseled me on so...one dagger at a time!

Again, thanks a lot. I really appreciate your opinions and insight.
    Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Salty Deutsches Rotes Kreuz (DRK) Hewer Dagger: A Good Deal?  

Hi Adam, that is a great example and Paul, the seller, is a Gent. You will have no worries there.

I really like these hewers and think they are under rated.

Cheers, Ade.