Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Schutzpolizei bayonet

Article about: Hi Guys, I thought that you might like to see this bayonet which I have just purchased here in the UK. It came together with a 2nd pattern Luftwaffe dagger which I will show in another threa

Default Schutzpolizei bayonet

Hi Guys, I thought that you might like to see this bayonet which I have just purchased here in the UK. It came together with a 2nd pattern Luftwaffe dagger which I will show in another thread. I obtained them for a nice price. The seller inherited them, but his wife did not want them in the house, so they had to go.... I am hoping he will give me details of who took them etc.

The bayonet is in the black leather scabbard for the municipal police or the Schutzpolizei. The rural Police (Gendarmerie) wore brown leather scabbards.

There are no issue numbers to the reverse of the crossguard, so it may well have not be issued. But it does show some frog wear. You will see the guard is devoid of oak leaf decoration here to allow the letters and numbers to be place there.

The maker is "Alcoso" which was the trade name for Alexander Coppel, Solingen. Some interesting info on the Company can be seen here, as they were originally Jewish owned being expropriated by the Nazis:

https://ssl.kundenserver.de/s2185475.../en/about.html

This bayonet is a pure Third Reich era production peice. Blade length is 33cm or 13 inches. Many Police bayonets are often earlier Weimar era peices which were cut down with the clam shell guards being removed too. Evidence of these earlier peices are a hole in the lower part of the stag horn grip and a blood groove in the blade extending to the tip. Bill shows a nice example of a modified peice here:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/dagge...-bayonet-4156/

Calling these bayonets is sometimes really a bit of mis-nomer. Mine is the non slotted type and cannot be fitted to a rifle: but some can be found which are slotted to actually mount on the rifle.

There is some plating loss to the rear of the scabbard but a frog will hide this when on display. So I am now in the market for a frog and knot.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Schutzpolizei bayonet   Schutzpolizei bayonet  

Schutzpolizei bayonet   Schutzpolizei bayonet  

Schutzpolizei bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Schutzpolizei bayonet
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Schutzpolizei bayonet

Ade, nice find. looks to be in great condition. enjoy .
    andrew

fabulous bayonet Ade,,,congratulations,,,

?

Ade very nice it was worth the wait. Gary

Hal
    ?

Ade, Nice to see a Third Reich period piece and in excellent condition. I,ve found a few over the years but the more common Weimar, cut-down type. Nice find! Congrats! Hal

Just a little update.

The seller has now told me that this bayonet along with the Luftwaffe dagger were "liberated" in Germany in 1945 by a British solider who served as an Ambulance driver.

The Luftwaffe dagger can be seen here:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/dagge...r-dolch-15961/

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Ade , i really love the look of these stag gripped police sidearms , congratulations on a lovely example
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

very nice find Ade i have the cut down version and a clamshell version, i wouldnt mind this one to add to them thanks for showing Ade nice catch,
    cheers Ronnie

?

Stunning bayonet ! Thanks

Wonderful Ade! I have a fondness for the Polizei eagle and these eagle hilted bayonets have always struck me as a mother bird standing proud above her little eaglet. Anyways, the artistry speaks for itself. Thanks for sharing, rick