Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Social welfare dagger - all original?

Article about: Hello again. Considering the purchase of this social welfare leader dagger. Everything looks ok but I do wonder about how new that screw looks on the top pommel. Any thoughts on this? Thank

?

Dan i think you nailed it with just that 1 picture....it lacks the quality of an Original...

#Nap all the paper aint worth a thing when the dagger is as this one: a post war copy
    Keep in mind that believing something is genuine and put that on paper doesnt make it real......
    I would for sure ask good pics of the rest before driving 400 miles......you can only spend you cash once

Ger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Hey Naptime,

Based on the pictures I would have to concur with our team members on the assessment. The Eagle, Swastika, Cross detail on crossguard & screw is enough to where I would be nervous to purchase. If it helps here are some close ups of mine as well. Wish you well on the endeavor.

Be well!

Rossi
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	347.4 KB 
ID:	755873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	309.8 KB 
ID:	755874  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	286.5 KB 
ID:	755875   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	337.5 KB 
ID:	755876  

Last edited by Rossi; 10-22-2014 at 11:56 PM.

War Relics Forum Sponsor
    My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this dagger. My only source of further confusion is that Billy sent me a reply via message that based on the photos, he thinks the dagger looks exactly as it should. I'm sorry Billy if that was to remain private. I would not be driving 400 miles, the items would be shipped to me. I have more photos coming today of some of the other items in the collection that I will post. Thank you.

?

Quote by naptime View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to comment on this dagger. My only source of further confusion is that Billy sent me a reply via message that based on the photos, he thinks the dagger looks exactly as it should. I'm sorry Billy if that was to remain private. I would not be driving 400 miles, the items would be shipped to me. I have more photos coming today of some of the other items in the collection that I will post. Thank you.
    Nap we all can make mistakes or wrong judgements, thats why its so nice we have so many members
    100 eyes see more then one.
    I think in this case the mayority is right, its a copy IMO
    look at the macro, and see where yours lacks detail compared to Rossi one.
    Cheers,
    Ger

Name:	Fake.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	755912

?

just my input. it was my understanding on the scabbard holes, that square was Social welfare and round was medical, because they match the buckle shape of each. but I think in reality they were interchangeable. if a medical officer went into the social welfare program, he's not going to change his scabbard or care. I think it was in tom johnsons book that I read either way was acceptable. I know mine was vet returned, and it was a full Social welfare rig with hangers and knot, square holes on the scabbard .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DRK L4 026.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	756367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DRK L3 025.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	756366  

Name:	DRK L2 024.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	756365   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DRK L 023.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	756364  

Name:	DRK L5 027.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	756368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DRK L6 028.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	756369  

?

Nice Complete Rig Andrew...Thanks for sharing your images

I concur with you that the scabbard hanger holes can be rectangular or circular. I have seen many over the years and some have been circular and some rectangular. I think the set screw polish and high polish bands on Naptime's photos along with some oddities in the cast around bottom of cross, eagles talons and oval had some concerned. It is hard to tell by pictures of course. I would really want to inspect that scabbard as well and compare the pebbling pattern with one I knew was authentic along with the piece being reviewed.

Quote by Andrew View Post
    just my input. it was my understanding on the scabbard holes, that square was Social welfare and round was medical, because they match the buckle shape of each. but I think in reality they were interchangeable. if a medical officer went into the social welfare program, he's not going to change his scabbard or care. I think it was in tom johnsons book that I read either way was acceptable. I know mine was vet returned, and it was a full Social welfare rig with hangers and knot, square holes on the scabbard .

War Relics Forum Sponsor
    My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Hey guys. Thanks again for the help with this. I passed on the purchase of this dagger but the seller did sell it to someone else so be on the lookout. He also had some other "exotic" daggers like a Teno dagger and SS.

Hey everyone. Just noticed a scam that just went up on craigslist for a DRK / Red Cross Dagger. This is Pawel. He has a lot of ads up across the U.S. on Craigslist right now. His are obvious to spot because they are always one sentence and end with "100% original". He made the mistake of replying to my messages a couple of times on different ads. Anyway, just a heads up.

Original German RED Cross Dagger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12