Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

There are some strange questions about Rote Kreuz dagger

Article about: yes very nice DRK material, keep it up - the light alloy helmets are excellent to find in good condition, too. it's a niche that deserves to be explored more....

?

Default There are some strange questions about Rote Kreuz dagger

The peoples asking why the RK dagger has the screw-driver edge, and from which time they was produced with that blade?
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement There are some strange questions about Rote Kreuz dagger
    P
    Many

Default re: There are some strange questions about Rote Kreuz dagger

Hi Dimas, they were produced with the "screwdriver tip" blade because the Red Cross was a non combatant organisation. So they could have have a sharpe pointed blade. The saw back edge etc was to allow them to make splints from wood using the dagger.

Made from 1938.

Here is mine.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture There are some strange questions about Rote Kreuz dagger  

Default Re: There some strange questions about RK dagger

Hi Phil, yes it was. Remember the outcry in WW1 (not saying you were there ) about "Hun beastlyness" due to the Germans having saw back bayonets. The British press forgot that we used them too in previous years to WW1.

Cheers, Ade.

?

I was under the understanding that the hewer was created like this so that they could wear it in the field and not break any of the rules of the Geneva convention about Red Cross members not wearing weapons.

Yes, I would agree with that statement too.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Default Re: There are some strange questions about Rote Kreuz dagger

Ade I have a question about DRK hewer, do you have any idea as to when the non blunted hewers where made or any idea so to who made them? The DRK hewer was my first German dagger, and still one of my favorites. I keep seeing non blunts and from everything I have seen these look to be original factory made but I don't know much providence on them but would like to have one for my collection. Here is my Hewer and part of my DRK collection.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture There are some strange questions about Rote Kreuz dagger  

Hi, and thanks for showing part of your collection. Very nice.

From what I have read and seen, I don't believe in any non blunt DRK hewer as being an original untampered with item.

Cheers, Ade.

?

I have only got to look at a non-pointed once in person and not for very long. The blade was slightly longer due to the point and I didn't get to take any measurements or weights on it but it looked to have the same cross grain across the whole blade. I have the same issues as you though, outside of a few pictures of the dagger in books there seems to be no or very little history of them and even then the books usually have "variation?" near the pictures. I know there is one for sale on a website right now but I was hoping I would find a definite answer about these before I spend the kinda money asked. I appreciate the reply and the kind words for my small collection.

As you most likely know, there are only two known makers for this hewer. It would be interesting to know what makers details were on the tang of the one you saw. If the blade was longer than normal, then of course it could not be a post war grind job.

Interesting.

I don't think I would be adventurous enought to buy a non standard one, even more so due to the relative low collector demand for these. Even though I do like them, in fact my son likes this pattern most of all out of all my daggers.

Cheers, Ade.

?

I wish I had had the time to have done some measures on the dagger, outside of comparing to another hewer, I had my hands on, and would have loved to have looked for a makers mark but it wasn't in the most idyllic conditions. The dagger was at a antiques show and a few people had been looking at it. I had a card for the dealer at one time but he had sold it at that show so didn't even get a chance to call him and ask to inspect it in a less crowded condition. I have to agree with you and I think I will pass on a non blunt one until 1. someone finds a definite history of these 2. I have bought all the other DRK items I want (so read about 15-20 years from now ). Thanks for the info and the thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast