Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Third Reich pocket knife.

Article about: I was hoping someone could help me identify the maker and history of this pocket knife. The stamping on both scales is the SS in a diamond with a gap and then the SS in a double circle follo

Default Third Reich pocket knife.

I was hoping someone could help me identify the maker and history of this pocket knife. The stamping on both scales is the SS in a diamond with a gap and then the SS in a double circle followed by 39/38 and the RZM stamp. The stamp is upside down in my picture sorry.

Last edited by Iron Hoarder; 03-27-2011 at 09:54 AM. Reason: spelling

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Third Reich pocket knife.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Third Reich pocket knife.

Suspicious of this knife. Putting a stamp such as this onto a product would
    lead one to believe there were hundreds, if not thousands 'issued'.
    Never seen an 'SS' marked pocket knife before.

Who is the maker on the tang ?
    Regards,

Steve.

There is no maker stamp on the tang. I thought that was a bit odd but since the number stampings are supposed to identify the maker that maybe someone cut corners by not stamping the blade. I found it in an antiques store in a cabinet with a bunch of other Third Reich items. It had a thin coating of dried out yellowish stuff that resembled the cosmoline used as a preservative on some US stuff. It definitely has some age to it and it had that old military stuff stored for a long time smell to it as well. If it is fake then it was done a long time ago and someone picked it up and stuck it in with their collection sometime ago. So far I found one similar to it on worthpoint as an old e-bay auction and a picture of German WWII pocket debris from POW's where there is a pile of knives that look like these on the ground but it is not a good picture. I'll see if I can find them again.

SS runes in a diamond............................... never was, that's a dead give-away sorry

It's another one of Tony Olivers 1970's contraptions

That would explain it's generally mediocre quality. You would think if someone was going to fake something they would do a better job. I'll add it to the user pile.

rcs
    ?

Hello Robert, welcome to this part of the net.

John's got it spot on mate, a fantasy item. You need to be so careful with anything relating to the SS, there's so many fakes and fantasy items around, its a bit of a minefield to be honest.

cheers mate,
    Rob

Well it was a low spend gamble. Even as a user the knife is worth what I paid for it. I don't spend big on anything that isn't signed in blood by a proper authority. Being a cheapskate has definitely served me well again. Now to go back to the antiques store and see if another fake has replaced this one. If it has I might need to ask someone a few questions about their origin.