Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Wasserschutzpolizei dagger - need help

Article about: Hi, I would like to ask you form help with this dagger. I went through the last posts of fake daggers but did not find this one. I would like to know your opinon regarding this dagger becaus

?

Default Wasserschutzpolizei dagger - need help

Hi,
    I would like to ask you form help with this dagger. I went through the last posts of fake daggers but did not find this one. I would like to know your opinon regarding this dagger because there is not too much information about this kind of dagger.
    Thank you, Mike

Wasserschutzpolizei dagger - need helpWasserschutzpolizei dagger - need helpWasserschutzpolizei dagger - need helpWasserschutzpolizei dagger - need helpWasserschutzpolizei dagger - need helpWasserschutzpolizei dagger - need help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wasserschutzpolizei dagger - need help
    P
    Many

Hi Mike...nice looking Water customs dagger...but just to make sure..I would like the Kriegsmarine Collectors to see the fittings on this dagger..and also to see if they are comparable with other water customs daggers. Alcoso was known for Landcustoms daggers..and the Water customs daggers are considered questionable..and being made up of 2nd Model Naval parts. Portepee looks to be a recent tie on. Wait for more Naval Input. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Mike,

On first glance, this example might look like a period produced Water Protection Police dagger. The thing to always keep in mind is this model dagger is very rare, very expensive & very heavily faked. What makes some of the fakes more insidious is that a decent WPP dagger can essentially be constructed out of period parts. That being said, there are period examples out there waiting to be discovered, or rediscovered as the case may be.

This particular piece is marked Alcoso & that maker is known for producing this model dagger. Note the crossguard which has the diamond motif which is unique to Alcoso. Good, right? Well that's where the similarities end.

Did you notice the unusual location of the maker mark? Looks kinda high on the blade, no? Also, did anyone pick up that this blade doesn't have the typical KM etch but raher looks to be Damascus steel? Right there a huge red flag should be raised & we need go no further. There are a couple of other minor but no less important things I see that I don't like, but why go out of my way to give fakers more info? This piece, IMHO, is not period.

Larry,

Respectfully, I believe the moniker "Water Customs" would be inappropriate for this model dagger. Wasserzoll daggers are identical to Landzoll (with the exception of blue leather) & bear more of a resemblance to modified Heer dagger than a KM.

?

I agree with Billy. I could not have said it any better

Danny

?

Quote by dr73 View Post
    I agree with Billy. I could not have said it any better

Danny

Hi,
    thank you for reply, I will try to contact the guy who has this dagger and take more detailed pictures and will post it here for others to be aware of this dagger.
    Mike

Hi Billy thankyou for your detailed analysis..on this dagger..and my apologies on the "Loss of translation" between the 2 types of daggers. I dont collect these types..and need to study more. Thankyou for the correction and confirming my doubts about the dagger posted. Best Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Larry,

Happy to help, my friend. This hobby always used to be about older, more experienced guys sharing what they know with anyone who needed to learn. I'm far from an expert but I guess I've picked up a little experience over the years & been lucky to have far more seasoned guys help me. That's what it should be about, learning & comradeship.

?

IMO the easiest way to determan if its a proper, is to first look at the Eagle, the originals are very big, almost to big for the grip.
    If the Eagle aint the clunky big one i wont even take a look at the dagger.
    This one is bad.
    here an Original, this one is posted at GDC, but is exactly what they look like, textbook one.
    please dont look at how its assembled
    Regards,
    Ger
    Wasserschutzpolizei dagger - need helpWasserschutzpolizei dagger - need helpWasserschutzpolizei dagger - need help

Gents,
    Well this really isn't a dagger I collect or know about, so ive had a look through my Johnson reference book but to be honest Im struggling to find any red flags with this particular piece.
    The smaller police symbol is the example used in Johnsons reference not the type like Gerrit has pictured which IMO looks like a police sword insignia plastered on the front of a water protection dagger (with the crossguard the wrong way round).
    The water protection police dagger is valued at near TWICE the value of the standard water protection dagger the only noticeable difference being the police badge so make sure the badge is right whatever happens!
    Cant say the knot is for me, I think id be more tempted to put a standard navy one on it like Johnsons example.
    Cheers matty

?

Quote by mattty01 View Post
    Gents,
    Well this really isn't a dagger I collect or know about, so ive had a look through my Johnson reference book but to be honest Im struggling to find any red flags with this particular piece.
    The smaller police symbol is the example used in Johnsons reference not the type like Gerrit has pictured which IMO looks like a police sword insignia plastered on the front of a water protection dagger (with the crossguard the wrong way round).
    The water protection police dagger is valued at near TWICE the value of the standard water protection dagger the only noticeable difference being the police badge so make sure the badge is right whatever happens!
    Cant say the knot is for me, I think id be more tempted to put a standard navy one on it like Johnsons example.
    Cheers matty

It took me years to find a 100% unmessed with WPP dagger. Until one day from a Canadian veteran family source came one which was untoched since the war. That's the one Ger shows. It's a late Alcoso and textbook all the way to the red felt blade washer.

The example Mike1 shows is IMHO a fake, or parts dagger at best.

Billy nails this scarce model solid in one hit.

-wagner-