MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water Customs Dagger

Article about: Hello all, My Great Uncle had this Water Customs Dagger in his collection, and I would like to find out more about it. I know that these are rare pieces, so, given its condition, I was looki

Default Water Customs Dagger

Hello all,

My Great Uncle had this Water Customs Dagger in his collection, and I would like to find out more about it. I know that these are rare pieces, so, given its condition, I was looking for an approximate value and a fair asking price. As for where he acquired the dagger, I have no idea. He unfortunately passed away last winter, so I was unable to talk to him about the piece. He was in the Merchant Marines in WW2, and married a Bavarian woman after the war. His post-war career was as an officer on cruise ships, which frequently brought him to European port cities. He also traveled to Germany at least once a year to visit his wife's family, and I'm sure he hit as many antique shops as possible.

Thank you in advance for any information and opinions you can contribute.

Sincerely,

DanWater Customs Dagger[ATTACH=CONFIG]910538[/ATTAWater Customs DaggerWater Customs DaggerWater Customs DaggerWater Customs DaggerWater Customs DaggerWater Customs DaggerWater Customs DaggerCH]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Water Customs Dagger
    P
    Many

CBH
    ?

I had a mint one of these as a teenaged collector , a local dagger collector happily traded me a lovely SA dagger and some cloth crap for it . Live and learn .

Ouch! Although I'm not a collector (yet), I know there are plenty of sheisty individuals in this hobby/business. I plan on holding on to a few items my Great Uncle had, such as some medals, to start a small collection that I can hopefully build on soon.

CBH
    ?

That's a great idea , this is a wonderful place to learn from world class experts see world class collection . And how rude of me not to welcome you to forum ! Hope you stay and share more of your items here also always post before you spend any cash , most people here don't like to talk prices , too many free appraisals from one posters . It's a lovely dagger it looks like it still has packing grease on the blade might clean up bright as new . I still think of mine and the stupidity of youth . Looking froward to seeing more of your collection .
    Cheers Chris

Thank you for the welcome and for the encouragement! I can totally understand the reluctance to talk price on here, or to give out free estimates. Are members generally willing to refer other members to reputable dealers/collectors for estimates they can pay for?

MAP
    ?

As noted, pricing is a touchy subject. It is generally frowned on as we are here to typically show and tell and help authentic and discuss. That I would recommend you look at some reputable dealer sites for approx "retail" pricing. Non retail is significantly less. Plus condition and other factors affect value as well. You can try some of the forum sponsors as well as others such as Paul at Lakeside Traders ( Lakesidetrader | German WWII Daggers & Medals )and I am told Wittman Militaria. They do consignment. Not sure if they do appraisals. I know there are others out there but not being a dagger geek, I can't reference them off the top of my head.

hopefully others will be around with more info.

Regards

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Welcome to the forum.

I would think Googling around might find you a few dealers that have or sold one of these, and you may be able to figure a price that way, of course originality and condition are a factor.

CBH
    ?

Is the handle damaged on the back side ? You could loosen the handle and switch side if the backside isn't damaged . Some collectors might disagree but I might consider doing this . Getting an value on a rare and damage dagger might be difficult .

Not to be a douche but is your uncle sure of this dagger's veracity? I ask because I'm not, although I concede I'm looking at the pics on a phone screen.

From what I see, the parts are poorly defined, beyond the normally seen poor quality of Customs daggers in general.

The ferrule has oak leaves which is correct for a Heer dagger, not a Customs dagger. Customs daggers have acanthus leaves which are pointed & not rounded.

The same can be said for the pommel although the detail is so soft that I can't really tell but they look like oakleaves.

The crossguard eagle is very poorly defined in general. The maker's mark also appears soft in detail & the scabbard has oversized fittings that are similar to the reproduction scabbards of the "60's & "70's. Overall, I see things that would give me pause. Sorry man.

?

i have to agree with Billy, this is not a genuine dagger its a repro all the way.
    sorry....

Ger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast