Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What is a 'transitional' dagger?

Article about: I keep seeing 'transitional' SA and SS daggers and I don't understand what it means when a dagger of this sort is 'transitional'? I'll probably get a quick answer; pretty simple question I'd

?

Default What is a 'transitional' dagger?

I keep seeing 'transitional' SA and SS daggers and I don't understand what it means when a dagger of this sort is 'transitional'?
    I'll probably get a quick answer; pretty simple question I'd say.

Regards,
    Bas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What is a 'transitional' dagger?
    P
    Many

It means that it was produced during the change over from maker's marks, to RZM and normally contains both markings.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    It means that it was produced during the change over from maker's marks, to RZM and normally contains both markings.
    Ralph.
    Thanks, Ralph!

It was during this time also, that the war began to take it's toll on the higher quality materials and you'll see on occasion plated guards being used with maker marked blades, poorly gilded bits with earlier good quality pieces as they were being used up, etc.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    It was during this time also, that the war began to take it's toll on the higher quality materials and you'll see on occasion plated guards being used with maker marked blades, poorly gilded bits with earlier good quality pieces as they were being used up, etc.
    Also useful to know; thank you, William!

Regards,
    Bas

Understanding that it's the traditional collector/dealer term used to describe daggers with both the RZM and early standard blade marking, in the past it has caused me to do some "head scratching" trying to reconcile that explanation with some of the observable facts. The first of which is that for example some early period manufacture SS daggers have only RZM markings. And as William pointed out more appropriately (IMO) to me it makes more sense from my perspective as referring to the transition in the materials used to make the daggers. With nickel silver being the initial production material of choice, followed by malleable cast iron and aluminum (for some makers) and ultimately zinc. And judging from period documentation, 1935 when an edict was published restricting copper (nickel silver is very roughly 2/3 copper) from non-military uses although the effect was not immediate as there was no requirement to surrender already delivered supplies. Best Regards, Fred