Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Trench knife help

Article about: Hi All, I have been clearing out my attic as I am moving home and came across a WW1 German trench knife. After quizzing my dad about this, he found this when he was 16 in a shed! Now 57 he h

deano
    ?

Default WW1 Trench knife help

Hi All,

I have been clearing out my attic as I am moving home and came across a WW1 German trench knife. After quizzing my dad about this, he found this when he was 16 in a shed! Now 57 he has decided to give it to me!

I am 23 and do not have much knowledge around knifes or memorabilia but this item has sparked a bit of interest from me, so I’ve come to seek some help!

I've attached some photos of the knife and was wondering if you could tell me what sort of value I could come to expect, this way I would then know whether to keep it, clean it up or sell!

The knife has a bit of rust but nothing too deep and looks like it could be cleaned up as well as the sheath.

The knife also has 8 notches scribed into it which I can only assume some poor soul has been on the receiving end of the knife!

Any way let me know what you think, James
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Trench knife help   WW1 Trench knife help  

WW1 Trench knife help   WW1 Trench knife help  

2. # ADS

Default Re: WW1 Trench knife help

deano, firstly welcome to the forum !...that is a nice original 'Nahkampfmesser' (Trench Knife), manufactured by Gottlieb Hammmesfahr, of Solingen, circa 1916. It will have on the reverse ricasso a small crowned 'C', an inspection mark. I would clean it sympathetically, i.e. wipe it over with a damp cloth, and lightly oil the metal parts, i would NOT try to remove the rust ! it is nicely marked, many including the two i have, tend to be over sharpened (they needed to be !) thus damaging the maker marks etc. Despite the damage to the leather belt hanger/ retaining strap, these are desirable and i would envisage it to be worth at least £100/$150 approx.

the notches/grooves on the handle is done by the maker,,not kill markings by the soldier...

3mk
    ?

Never mind

Quote by militarymania View Post
    the notches/grooves on the handle is done by the maker,,not kill markings by the soldier...
    militaryman, indeed the nine grooves on either side of the wooden handle are indeed rudimentery grips done by the manufacturer, i think deano is refering to the small notches ( five on one side, three on the other ) on the side of the wood further down towards the blade end of the grips ( i you look closely you can make them out, photos 4 & 6 ), quite possibly done by a former owner.

ha!,,,i couldn't see the notches for the grooves...it may well indeed be evidence of kills,,,if only the knife could talk!