MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Feldgendarmerie gorget original or junk??

Article about: Hi Chaps, I would very much appreciate your opinions on this gorget. They aren't my area. I have asked for maker mark etc (if any) but don't know at the minute. The money isn't bad but the c

?

Default Feldgendarmerie gorget original or junk??

Hi Chaps,
    I would very much appreciate your opinions on this gorget. They aren't my area. I have asked for maker mark etc (if any) but don't know at the minute. The money isn't bad but the condition is poor. Having looked at many, I'm not convinced by this one, I think the whole shape is wrong. What do you think?

Cheers::
    Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Feldgendarmerie gorget original or junk??   Feldgendarmerie gorget original or junk??  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Feldgendarmerie gorget original or junk??
    P
    Many

Default Re: Feldgendarmerie gorget original or junk??

I do not own any but just looking at the construction it looks promising IMO. I think that they did have a felt backing though so this may be why it is selling at a low price. I would wait for some experts before taking the dive though.

I used to have one, whitch was a real one for sure, as me and a mate found in in the attic of a house, used in the war as a German HQ. We found it between loads and loads of paper and documents, all stamped by the Feldgendarmerie.
    There are some differences between this one, and the one we found; the two hooks on the back and the ring chain atachtment. The two plate hooks on the back of this one seem to be just smooth ones, as the one we had had a sort of rib running over it, they were not flat like these (hope you understand what I mean!).
    Also the left upper hook, looking at the back of the plate is in a different angle, but maybe this one has just been bent.
    The attachment of the ring chain is a bit different too, or is it the picture? Ours had a tube instead of a plate with a whole in it to connect the chain.
    If we look at the front the font looks okay; the dot on the "i" is hollow and the "g" is outside the banner. The letter "d" looks a bit diffrent, I mean the small part of the "d" at the bottom that moves to the right.
    Is the eagle loose on ours? Does it move slightly? Because there should be more space between the right wing and the banner. Lik ethe eagle is not centered, but they can move a bit when the prongs are loose.
    Hope this helps, its difficult to explain in English.

?

Hi guys and thanks!! These Gorgets where made with woolen backs and with backs made from stiff card. They also had hooks like these ones and hooks with the ridge. It depends on the maker. I think that the over all shape of this one is more like a known fake but it may just be the photograph. I also think that the eagle is in better condition than the rest of the Gorget. It's hard to tell without having it in hand.
    Cheers
    Andy