Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Gendarmerie Sleeve Eagle Guide. Can be used for most police sleeve eagles.

Article about: I was asked by STUG III to share pictures or scans of some eagles I have so he could use them for reference. I figured it would be easier to share these with everyone and whomever wants to u

Default Gendarmerie Sleeve Eagle Guide. Can be used for most police sleeve eagles.

I was asked by STUG III to share pictures or scans of some eagles I have so he could use them for reference. I figured it would be easier to share these with everyone and whomever wants to use them can. I was also very inspired by W.Unland's guide to bullion officer police eagles which can be found here:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/non-c...eagles-2500-2/

So, I am going to go about this a little differently so I can compare and contrast all the eagles. Please save your comments on my Microsoft paint skills. I know you are all jealous and wish you could do family portraits in Microsoft paint. I decided to use all Gendarmerie (rural police) eagles to better compare everything, but these same rules can apply to Schutzpolizei (Urban Police GREEN) and Gemeindein Polizei (Municipal Police WINE RED)

Eagle 1A is the first style M36 Tunic Eagle. It was worn on the standard police uniform until ordered removed by the 1941 police revision order of Himmler, which stated that all district named sleeve eagles be replaced with unnamed eagles. This did not apply to fire police. However evidence suggests this was not always followed. Especially on parade days, as policemen had several uniforms. There were three major police revision orders:
    1932 (unifying the police forces)
    1936 (standardizing uniforms, which was motifvated in part by the Olympics)
    1941 (making the police less tied to one area and better used throughout the Reich and for combat & occupation roles).

Eagle 1B is the eagle that replaced eagle 1A. Notice the construction has remained the same. However, compare it to eagle 3 and you will notice that the shape design of the eagles have changed from 1941 on. District names were removed so that a policeman from one district could be used in another without locals knowing he was an "out-of-towner". It was also so that policeman could be used for occupation duty in Poland, Yugoslavia, Greece, Russia, etc...

Eagle 2A is the summer weight or sometimes called "canvas eagle" that went on the summer uniform or mottled uniform.

Eagle 2B is the eagle that replaced eagle 2A. Again notice that the design has changed slightly.

Eagles 1A and 2A were designed and manufactured from 1936 until December 1941. Eagles 1B, 2B and 3 were manufactured after 1941. Also, these eagles could have been made earlier and not had the district name added but I would disagree with these particular eagles because you can notice the slight change in design and especially notice it when compared to the late war eagle 3.

Eagles 1A and 1B were worn on the M36 style uniform which is the police service, dress, and parade tunic.

Eagles 2A and 2B were worn on the summer weight uniform.

Eagle 3 was worn by rural police only late in the war and for the much simplified late war police tunic. This eagle was really designed and manufactured to be used by Waffen-SS Feldgendarmerie units, but evidence suggests wear and use by rural police. Especially the combat units. Eagle 1B can sometimes be found on these tunic as well. However, if you see a late war tunic with eagle 2B, take a good long look at it. Though this technically could have happened, I have seen it before it person and have not found any of these tunics to be authentic.

If you have questions, let me know! I hope everyone can use this info.

-Martin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gendarmerie Sleeve Eagle Guide. Can be used for most police sleeve eagles.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Gendarmerie Sleeve Eagle Guide. Can be used for most police sleeve eagles.

Thanks Martin for the great photos. This makes it a bit easier to understand.
    Tom

Trawling through the archives here --- seems this was once a pretty useful thread re. these different types of Gendarmerie sleeve eagles but, alas, photos are all gone... any chance of re-uploading?

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Trawling through the archives here --- seems this was once a pretty useful thread re. these different types of Gendarmerie sleeve eagles but, alas, photos are all gone... any chance of re-uploading?
    This is why the mods keep asking people to use the forum photo uploader, threads become useless!.....

Yes, indeed! I hope that perhaps the OP sees this and is able to re-upload the relevant photos --- would be great