MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Identifying artifacts

Article about: I had completed my trip to Germany and found some artifacts in a can. I am not sure if they are real or not. I tried to look them up online and only found a bit of info. Can someone please l

Default Identifying artifacts

I had completed my trip to Germany and found some artifacts in a can. I am not sure if they are real or not. I tried to look them up online and only found a bit of info. Can someone please let me know if they are real or not. And yes I will sell them after I find out more about them.Identifying artifactsIdentifying artifactsIdentifying artifactsIdentifying artifacts

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Identifying artifacts
    P
    Many

?

I’m gonna assume the “ss” looking NSDAP pin is fake

MAP
    ?

The top badge is (in English vernacular) a Panzer Assault Badge (aka PAB).

The maker is known as "AS in a Triangle" and to this day we don't know who "AS" really is. Although we do know that they were located in the Gablonz area. That said, very sorry to say but this particular award is a cast fake.

Please look at my example in the link below. The easiest thing to spot is the different hinge and catch set up on the rear.

Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber, AS in Triangle 3.3.2 Zinc 2nd die pattern

The pin also appears to be a fake. Something we call "Fantasy" or 4th Reich as it never existed during the 3rd Reich period.
    Last edited by MAP; 07-27-2018 at 11:20 PM.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The screwback fixing on the pin is very reminiscent of the fantasy fakes that come out of Poland on a regular basis. I suspect it is in fact one of those.

B.B.

Thank you . great to know how you know this..for future references

That is very good information. I always wondered what the AS was for. Thought maybe like the stamp with jewelry...but unknown person.

I'm assuming by A & S you are referring to the maker Assmann und Söhne? Either which way unfortunately both of these items are indeed of post 1945 manufacture. I hope that if you do decide to sell them on you will have the honesty to describe them as such. Sorry you got caught out on this occasion.

MAP
    ?

Quote by harleyquinn View Post
    Thank you . great to know how you know this..for future references
    Harley,

How do we know this? No different than school -> study!!

Good reference books (if available) are important but mostly learning from all the threads/posts here on the forum. In each category of Militaria this forum covers, we have some of the best experts in the hobby.

Quote by harleyquinn View Post
    That is very good information. I always wondered what the AS was for. Thought maybe like the stamp with jewelry...but unknown person.
    Many awards are "maker marked". Then again many are not. The lack OR inclusion of a maker mark is however, not a reliable indicator if the item is real or fake.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    I'm assuming by A & S you are referring to the maker Assmann und Söhne?
    No. AS does not stand for Assmann. In the link below you can see my Assmann & Sohne PAB. They have a completely different maker mark that looks like a stick figured man in the shape of an A. (7th photo from Top)

2 Cupal Panzerkampfabzeichen

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

My mistake, I meant Adolf Scholze, from Grünewald.

MAP
    ?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    My mistake, I meant Adolf Scholze, from Grünewald.
    From what I have read it is still undecided as to who AS in a triangle is. Either way, as you note...it's neither here nor there as this is a poor cast fake probably made from pot metal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast