Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

My Grandfather and his Discharge Paperwork

Article about: He is a picture of my grandfather. He is holding an ERMA-35 or EMP-35 sub-gun. Also included is a scan of his paperwork discharging him from the German Police. This was done by the British i

Default My Grandfather and his Discharge Paperwork

He is a picture of my grandfather. He is holding an ERMA-35 or EMP-35 sub-gun.

Also included is a scan of his paperwork discharging him from the German Police. This was done by the British in a SEP (Surrendered Enemy Personnel) Camp.

I don't know if anyone else has seen this kind of form, so I am sharing.

-Martin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Grandfather and his Discharge Paperwork
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: My Grandfather and his Discharge Paperwork

Hi Martin, Interesting document and photo of your grandfather. Thanks for posting. Cass.

Hi Martin, great photo of grandfather with the erma. I now see why you chose this area of collecting. I'm in the same line of work. I was reading the document and wondering why they held your grandfather until December 12th, of 1947. I'm sure since he was polizei, he had to complete the British Zone de-nazification program. Did he return to the polizei? It appears he was only 44 when he got released, so he had alot of good years left in him.

Take care,
    Jay

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    Hi Martin, great photo of grandfather with the erma. I now see why you chose this area of collecting. I'm in the same line of work. I was reading the document and wondering why they held your grandfather until December 12th, of 1947. I'm sure since he was polizei, he had to complete the British Zone de-nazification program. Did he return to the polizei? It appears he was only 44 when he got released, so he had alot of good years left in him.

Take care,
    Jay
    My grandfather joined the anti-partisan combat police in Croatia later in the war when the partisans were getting more aggressive and were armed with British surplus. At this point the partisans started to resemble a real army. The main army units then tangled with the larger partisan forces and the police combat units hunted and contained the smaller partisan "bands".

At the end of the war he was captured by the partisans and would have been executed like most of the Croatians, Germans, etc... except a German Armored column was moving back into Austria to surrender to the Western Allies. Even though the war was over the partisans still did not have the ability to stop a German column so he was saved by these retreating Germans and then surrendered to the British in Austria. After the British heard rumors of the partisans executing prisoners, in particular the Croatian Army at Bleiburg, Austria, they stopped turning over Axis prisoners to them. He was held by the British in Italy for a while, and then transferred to Great Britain.

My Grandmother pleaded to the newly formed Austrian government to have him released because of the children at home and because he was polizei. The request from the Austrian government to the British government was approved, and he was released to the Austrian government. It was only under their assurance that they would be responsible for him that he was released.

That's the long and short of it.

-Martin

Great family history Martin, thanks for sharing.

Jay

great family history,,glad you was able to preserve it,,,

Very interesting and thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Ade.

Ok. I know this is an ancient thread. But the German War Records department just got ahold of me. Zugwachtmeister rank.

?

I'm glad you bumped this back to the top Martin. I missed it the first time around. That is a Great document and a fantastic picture of your GF and the family history during those times. Having been captured by partisan and being a part of the anti partisan polizei, I know you GF was one happy man to see a column of German Armour coming down the road.

Semper Fi
    Phil