Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Police Eagle Fantasy Piece?

Article about: As a collector of German police and Croatian militaria you can imagine how excited I was to find this eagle. However, after I regained my senses and closely examined it I found a good long l

Default Police Eagle Fantasy Piece?

As a collector of German police and Croatian militaria you can imagine how excited I was to find this eagle.

However, after I regained my senses and closely examined it I found a good long list of issues and I thought I would share those with you and maybe compare notes?

First off, the biggest and most striking mistake would be the green swastika. Since this is a "panzer" eagle I would not be surprised to see a green swastika if there was a black background. On this standard police background the swastika should be black. This also needs to be considered for the eagle's eye.

Second, district names were ordered removed in 1941. Croatia was not established until 41 and specific police units were not formed until 42. Yes there were German police units in Croatia right in April of 41 but they would not have Croatian specific sleeve eagles. Also, my reference material suggests that a majority of police units that were "Croatian specific" were made of volksdeutsche and were Gendarmerie, not armored Schutzpolizei.

The eagle itself looks poorly made and the top stitching looks a lot like other fakes that are circulating these days; in particular the Olympic police eagles that are often at Show of Shows and other places for sale.

I have to think that this eagle MAY be a copy of a real eagle and that is why the swastika is green but on the wrong color background? As with most fakers, they really don't know what they are doing. If it was real it would be a highlight of my collection, but alas I think it is all wrong.

Other opinions?

-Martin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Police Eagle Fantasy Piece?   Police Eagle Fantasy Piece?  

Police Eagle Fantasy Piece?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Police Eagle Fantasy Piece?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Police Eagle Fantasy Piece?

It looks original. Compare with this one http://www.oakleafmilitaria.com/089u3.html. The swastika is also not black here.

my vote is a fake/fantasy piece on this,,,too many red flags for me...

Quote by makoff View Post
    It looks original. Compare with this one http://www.oakleafmilitaria.com/089u3.html. The swastika is also not black here.
    Oh I looked at that site. Here is a nice Bundewher Cap being sold as original... and for only $800!
    Polizei M43 enlisted cap with green (schutzpolizei) crown piping

Or maybe this "gem" which is an enlisted and an officer cap at the same time... Maybe I should buy that "rare" item?!
    http://www.oakleafmilitaria.com/images/0710h7-1.jpg

I will pass on that dealer...

-Martin

Quote by militarymania View Post
    my vote is a fake/fantasy piece on this,,,too many red flags for me...
    My thoughts as well.

Hi Martin, did you made a blacklight-test? I vote also for fake/fantasy because the backside looks like the modern patches and letters on frontside are very squared.

Quote by debbi082009 View Post
    Hi Martin, did you made a blacklight-test? I vote also for fake/fantasy because the backside looks like the modern patches and letters on frontside are very squared.
    Its not in my possession, I encountered it on a dealer's site. Sad part is that it is a well known and respected dealer in my area. I don't know if he is pulling a fast one or if he doesn't know better. I sent him an e-mail with my concerns and I have not received a reply.

-Martin

I found more information:

Croatia Police Regiments 1-5, Police Anti-Tank Company "Croatia", and Gendarmerie Division "Croatia"

On July 15th 1943, an agreement was signed between the Independant State of Croatia and Germany, by which a German-Croatian Police Force (Deutsch-Kroatische Polizei), under German Police & SS command, was to be raised and organized. The Commander of this new force was SS Major-General Konstantine Kammerhofer, and was intended for "internal security duties". Initially, one regiment, consisting of 2 battalions, was formed, but the strength of this force continually grew. By the Spring of 1944, 15 Battalions had been formed, organized into 5 regiments. These regiments were named "Polizei Freiwilligen-Regiment" and numbered 1-5. As well, 15 Independant Police Battalions were raised, titled Polizei-Freiwilligen-Bataillon 'Kroatien', and numbered 1-15. In early 1945, 12 of these battalions were joined into a "Gendarmerie Division Croatia", but by all accounts, this was a "paper division", as the battalions were scattered all over Croatian territory, and the new headquarters couldn't possibly gather them together under the logistical and strategic circumstances of the time.

The BdO (Befelshaber der Ordnungspolizei) in Zagreb, in December of 1944, raised a "Polizei Panzer-Jaeger Kompanie Kroatien", that was independant of the above regiments and division.

All together, 32,000 Croatians served in these German police units, and, while not frontline troops, helped keep order and defend strategic positions throughout the Independant State of Croatia

So since district names were ordered removed in 1941 and the units were not formed until 1943 I am declaring this 100% a fantasy piece. Even though it would seem such a unit did exist, it would not have had a district name and it would not have been "Zagreb" anyway.

-Martin