Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Police SS Rune and shoulder board

Article about: Wanted to get some thoughts on these 2 pieces. Thanks for your assistance! Regards, Sam

Default Police SS Rune and shoulder board

Wanted to get some thoughts on these 2 pieces. Thanks for your assistance!

Regards,

Sam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Police SS Rune and shoulder board   Police SS Rune and shoulder board  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Police SS Rune and shoulder board
    P
    Many

Default Re: Police SS Rune and shoulder board

They look fine to me.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks Ade!

Regards,

Sam

The shoulder board is Hauptwachtmeister (Sgt Capt) of the Schutzpolizei. This is a post 1941 shoulder board as the tresse on the inside is part of the actual construction and not added by the policemann.
    The SS runes are very cool. I have this on my list of "wants". But I am looking for some with a tag on the back, which can be found for a price.
    Now, the SS runes often have some controversy as to what they mean. Bottom line, it means that the police officer wearing them is also an SS member. No more, no less. Some full time SS men went into the Schutzpolizei and Gendarmerie. Some of the Motorized Gendarmerie had SS officer that mades those units very elite. So elite in fact that they AND their officers (despite SS origins) were used by the allies in the years after the war. Sorry, babbiling...

A+ Good find!

Mind if I ask how much you paid for them? If not, that is ok too. I just like to keep up on police price trends.

-Martin

Martin,
    Thank you very much for the information! I paid $350 for both pieces. My reasoning was that I saw the SS runes alone for about $300 to $500 retail. To me they are very much worth the price as I hope to never sell them. These were vet acquired and I also made a new collector friend as well! What are you seeing from a price stand point? I wasn't able to find a whole lot to compare these with?

Regards,

Sam

?

Nice find friend.

Sam,

The shoulder board can go anywhere from 20-50. Hauptwachtmeister is actually a rare rank because most cops retired out at Meister or were at lower ranks. Because it was in the "middle" of the rank structure and often a stepping stone onto something better they are the hardest to find.

The SS runs are ALL OVER the place. I have seen as low as $100 as high as $600. I should have bought the ones I found with a tag for $300 but I didn't have the funds at the time and now regret it. The other problem is that they are often faked so prices are all over because of that too.

I don't have a "silver bullet" answer for you. But I was curious. I think you paid what they were worth.

-Martin