Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

J&Z 24 inch Railway eagle

Article about: Took receipt of this one today so decided to snap a few quick shots. Lovely detailed example by J&Z, first of this type I've had --- unfortunately it had one of its wings broken/cut when

Default J&Z 24 inch Railway eagle

Took receipt of this one today so decided to snap a few quick shots. Lovely detailed example by J&Z, first of this type I've had --- unfortunately it had one of its wings broken/cut when it was taken down and souvenired, so whoever welded it back on whenever --- not the worst job, not the best either. Nice price, so no damage done -- so to speak.
    Other than that it appears with a nice clean patina, nothing heavy but not overly cleaned and/or polished as some you see --- gotta love the nice detail all over, surprisingly so, compared to other manufacturers, taking the reverse into account as well. A nice feature to this type.

Anyway, hope you like it, despite the obvious unfortunate flaw --- all part of its history though.

J&Z 24 inch Railway eagleJ&Z 24 inch Railway eagleJ&Z 24 inch Railway eagleJ&Z 24 inch Railway eagleJ&Z 24 inch Railway eagle

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement J&Z 24 inch Railway eagle
    P
    Many

Looks good.. I want to get one of these someday, I think they make a great display piece.

A pity about the welding. Looks okay, but a pity someone "covered" or painted
    the swastika! I wonder why the various abbreviations between the legs are not
    included?

Yes --- I agree. Of course, without the weld it would have been better --- then again, it would have been at least double the price too --- not something I was looking to at this point. Prices for these things are way inflated imo.
    Meda Militaria has another 24 incher with none of the markings between the legs right now, I have seen several other 24 inch J&Z eagles marked just the same way. The only eagle I have seen with the "RZA BLN" markings positioned there was actually a 35 inch example... no idea why, maybe I simply haven't seen enough examples of this type or maybe it's that these different sizes were simply marked for different usage---

Coincidentally, I recently picked up an interesting period photo showing a big D R eagle (with the D and R letters affixed left and right of the wreath) adorning the front of a boats cabin so I guess, as I'm sure we'll no doubt be learning from your upcoming book on the subject, that these were used in many different places --- not just in the ordinary "railway" capacity.

No idea when the swastika was painted, at the very least not recently judging by the patina.

Anyway, surely this one has its flaws and may not be getting much love but I like it all the same ---

a nice looking bird.

mpw
    ?

I really like it. The period damage and the repair are just part of the history of the piece. It displays very well and tells a story of the chaos at wars end.

Mark.

Thank you, guys --- Yes, I think so too... despite its one flaw it still displays very well, it's now up on my wall.

Also working on getting some more info on it, as it appears it came right out of the garage of an older gent in NJ... so, appears it's "fresh to the market", perhaps making it a bit easier to track down its history. In hand it appears largely untouched.

No more info yet but working on a display, as it felt kind of "bare" hanging straight up on the wall with no backing. Just a piece of oak I had laying around which I've cut to fit --- still a bit stumped on how I should actually fix the eagle to the wooden plaque though, as all the studs are cut almost all the way down--- I will probably have a small alu plaque made up with some info to put underneath the wing on the left hand side and and add an original period photo of one of these in place on the other side.

Any ideas for fixing the eagle would be most appreciated!

Quote by slados28 View Post
    No more info yet but working on a display, as it felt kind of "bare" hanging straight up on the wall with no backing. Just a piece of oak I had laying around which I've cut to fit --- still a bit stumped on how I should actually fix the eagle to the wooden plaque though, as all the studs are cut almost all the way down--- I will probably have a small alu plaque made up with some info to put underneath the wing on the left hand side and and add an original period photo of one of these in place on the other side.

Any ideas for fixing the eagle would be most appreciated!

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ah yes --- I think you're right, Ned. Need to find myself some really sticky stuff!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast