Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Rail Eagle, authentic or not - wanting to sell

Article about: Greetings. I'm new to the forum, so please go easy on me. My uncle recently passed away, leaving me a German railroad eagle from the second World War. He told me a WWII veteran buddy of his

Default Rail Eagle, authentic or not - wanting to sell

Greetings. I'm new to the forum, so please go easy on me. My uncle recently passed away, leaving me a German railroad eagle from the second World War. He told me a WWII veteran buddy of his took this off a train at the end of the war and brought it back to the States. I don't know anything about war memorabilia, and I do not intend to keep it. I do know these were faked a lot, but really have no reason to disbelieve my late uncle. So, can someone take a look at the pics and tell if indeed it is real, and if so, what are they going for these days? Thank you
    Rail Eagle, authentic or not - wanting to sellRail Eagle, authentic or not - wanting to sellRail Eagle, authentic or not - wanting to sellRail Eagle, authentic or not - wanting to sellRail Eagle, authentic or not - wanting to sell
    The last pic is the stud below the swastika. My uncle told me it broke off when his buddy pried it from the train. Notice no threads, but I also read some of these were attached with pins? Wing tip to wing tip, 28.5" by 15 5/8" tall. Looks like it hasn't been touched since it came off the train.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rail Eagle, authentic or not - wanting to sell
    P
    Many

I think it is good imo but better wait for someone's else opinion too

Thanks for looking at this. I build custom furniture and collect antiques. Fakes are usually pretty easy to spot, and I don't see that in this piece, but like I said, I'm no WWII expert.

the only thing i don't like is the bolts

Snapping these large bolts off with a pry bar wedged behind the eagle would put a tremendous amount of stress on the inside outer edges.
    I see no evidence of this?
    So these large bolts snapped without damaging the structure which I find impossible.
    I know nothing about these eagles whatsoever, but I do know what happens to metal when it is forced.
    best matty

Who knows how it was taken off, the only thing I know for sure is that the break is at the weakest point in the stud, the part that was drilled through. It doesn't take much to break a weak point like that, especially one made primarily of cast aluminum.

On another note, prying can also be done with hands, for example.

Otto3649: Welcome to the forum. I believe you have an original eagle by the maker Rhein Metall Borsig. Thanks for posting!

Luke

Thats a good bird it appears. The mounts can vary depending on its intended perch best I can tell.

the top bolts look like saw cuts. I am no expert, but it looks good to me.
    Just my opinion.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Looks good, the natural undisturbed patina that has accumulated over time on this eagle is very hard to replicate successfully on any fake of this kind, a mix of dirt, coal dust and soot. There are various different fixing methods applied to these rather than there being a 100% "if it's not like this it's fake!" scenario, it depends on the circumstances and methods used. I suggest you look around the dealer sites for prices and then adjust your own down from theirs to a collector to collector price, say 25-30% less for it to sell in good time.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast