Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this railway eagle authentic please?

Article about: I have seen this eagle for sale but the detail is softer than I was expecting. It has been drilled through the top mount pads and has cast in GAL MG SI F13 (maybe?) 28"x15" Any tho

?

Default Is this railway eagle authentic please?

Is this railway eagle authentic please?Is this railway eagle authentic please?Is this railway eagle authentic please?Is this railway eagle authentic please?
    I have seen this eagle for sale but the detail is softer than I was expecting. It has been drilled through the top mount pads and has cast in GAL MG SI F13 (maybe?) 28"x15"
    Any thoughts appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this railway eagle authentic please?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Is this railway eagle authentic please?

Al,

I'm no expert, but i've looked at others that are genuine and the quality of casting, finish and definition is far superior to this one. It also closely resembles many out there that are being sold as reproductions. That crack in the back is a casting fault, not the result of later damage, and as such would never have passed Q.C.

The genuine ones just ooze quality one expects of German engineering compared to this poor representation which does not. The lettering on the back is also the same as these repro's whereas the genuine ones are completely different and bolder. Too many red flags for me, but perhaps someone else knows more.

As an aside, GAL-MG-SI stands for Aluminium-Magnesium-Silicone.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thanks Ned,

Seems he had it for sale in several different places too. It was for sale with a SS sd helmet that is also a poor copy so I wasn't too surprised.

?

No it is a recast, I told you it was 50 or 60 years old and never claimed to be a authentic RR eagle.. I put it on Craigs list and never represented it as a being a real eagle. It was priced as a recast not a real one also. If you had searched I put it on here to be looked at first. I also never represented the helmet as being a SS I only said it was german, and it was a border guard helmet someone put a decal on. You can't get something for nothing.

?

Sorry, but it was not advertised as a "copy" either. I did a brief search here, but didn't see this one.