Become our sponsor and display your banner here

1582 Brass and Steel Breastplate

Article about: Hey folks, This breastplate has been has been passed down to me and i'm wondering if it has any significance? It has 1582 stamped in 2 locations also two names inscribed with dates. Any info

Default 1582 Brass and Steel Breastplate

Hey folks,
    This breastplate has been has been passed down to me and i'm wondering if it has any significance? It has 1582 stamped in 2 locations also two names inscribed with dates. Any information to help identify it would be appreciated.
    cheers Jay

DSC01352.jpg
    DSC01351.jpg
    DSC01354.jpg
    DSC01362.jpg
    DSC01361.jpg
    DSC01355.jpg
    DSC01356.jpg
    DSC01357.jpg

looks French around the napoleonic era

It certainly looks French.
    The French cavalry used cuirass' (to use the proper nomenclature) up until World War One.

Brass covered cuirass' were extremely popular, and the UK, Danish, and Prussian armies (among others) used brass plated cuirass' at one time or another in the 1800s.

It looks very nice! I have been on the look for one with the leather hardware still in place, but no luck.

Quote by 37Webbing View Post
    It certainly looks French.
    The French cavalry used cuirass' (to use the proper nomenclature) up until World War One.

Brass covered cuirass' were extremely popular, and the UK, Danish, and Prussian armies (among others) used brass plated cuirass' at one time or another in the 1800s.

It looks very nice! I have been on the look for one with the leather hardware still in place, but no luck.
    Wow thanks for the information, do you have any idea where the 1582 comes from?

Quote by rundymc View Post
    Wow thanks for the information, do you have any idea where the 1582 comes from?
    I am positive it it the stock number. The date and manufacturer can bee seen as well, and that leaves the stock number. The French cuirass' from the early 1800s had back-plates (as is evident from the attached photo), and the back-plate and front-plate belonged together, and would have had the same number embossed somewhere.

French cuirass from the battle of Waterloo.
    The effects of a direct hit with a cannonball.

Kyrasser brystplade 1815 Waterloo Fransk.jpg

... ohh and I almost forgot.

It is Manufactured at Coulaux Frères - Manufacture Royale d'Armes de Klingenthal (Klingenthal, Alsace)

And here is a photo of French cavalry with cuirass' in 1914:
    1914 - French Cuirassier.jpg

Ouch!!! that would have hurt!! Thanks for the info, Much appreciated.