Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo

Article about: This marks 200 years since the battle of Waterloo and amongst all that is happening to mark the event including a large scale recreation of the battle at the site which it is said will empha

Default 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo

This year marks 200 years since the battle of Waterloo and amongst all that is happening to mark the event including a large scale recreation of the battle at the site which it is said will emphasize Bonie's greatness even though he lost. In Britain a commemorative medallion has been issued, only 500,000 are being struck and these are free for the first to come until all are gone, they are limited to one per household, though there is a fee of £2.50 for P&P. Mine arrived today adn it is a quality item made of solid bronze, though they do try to sell you limited edition number etched versions, as well as gold and silver versions all of which cost extra money. They send the free example in a presentation display card and also try to sell you other medals to complete a set. I have just got the free medal which is well worth having for the cost of the postage and I will not be buying any of the others.

Anyone in the UK should perhaps apply whilst you can still get one as it is a quality item and well worth having. I have shown it next to a WWI star medal to show you the size of it.

Your FREE Waterloo Campaign Medal » Waterloo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

A website with links for events etc including 200 objects from Waterloo. Waterloo 200

Including the the Earl of Uxbridge's artificial leg, whom when he was hit is reputated to have said to Wellington that "by god sir, I've lost my leg! to which nosey replied "by god sir, so you have" Waterloo 200 » Artifical leg of Earl of Uxbridge
    Regards,

Jerry

And the original version of the Waterloo medal.

Waterloo 200 » Duke of Wellington’s Waterloo Medal
    Regards,

Jerry

?

This reminds me again that I must try to purchase a Waterloo Medal to the Grenadier Guards SOON! They aren't getting any cheaper!
    I would dearly love to visit the battlefield someday; two of my best friends have, and brought me back some soil, and a few small stones from Hougomont.

BobS

I also bought one of these a few weeks ago, well worth the postage cost. I paid a little more as the presentation display case was not free.

As Jerry B said they also tried to sell me all the others as well, I was tempted as they did look very nice, but decided not too.