Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Close Combat: The Longest Day Campaign Thread

Article about: Hi guys! So, it's time to reveal a nerdy passion of mine. Every few months or so, when I find that I have a lot of free time, I fill it with a campaign of one of my favorite games- Close Com

Default Re: Close Combat: The Longest Day Campaign Thread

D-Day!

For whatever reason, and I don't know if this had anything to do with the 101st Airborne Division, but the 4th I.D. landed at Utah Beach with no resistance.

Anyway, I moved the 4th I.D. off of the beach and allocated all of my air support to the paratroopers. The 21st Panzer Division is on the way to meet the British in the east, so I'm going to have to get the Caen Canal and Merville battery secured ASAP. After that, I will see how the landings go, and I will try to get my British and Canadian armor into Caen as fast as I can.
    Attached Images Attached Images

St. Germain-de-Varreville has been liberated as of the morning of June 6th I lost a few more good paratroopers, but the way has been cleared for the 4th I.D. to steamroll its way up the Cotentin Peninsula.

They took one prisoner, Schuetze Schroeter.

The 506th PIR has liberated St. Marie du Mont from osttruppen. The Utah Beach sector is going swimmingly.

FJR6 decided to try a counterattack at Brevands. The fallschirmjaeger that were mowed down in the fields as a result of their failed attempt make up for the men I lost on the bridge last night. My biggest loss was a 57mm AT gun that got shattered by a German 8cm mortar.

My 4th total victory in a row: La Fiere Causeway has been entirely secured.

The actual battle for the causeway was not nearly as easy as this one. Here is some good reading: http://www.historynet.com/world-war-...e-causeway.htm

The victories are getting costly. Grenadier Regiment 729 counterattacked at Amfreville, and I took a pretty heavy hit. They kept coming in scores, outflanking me before I could provide supporting elements. However, I have been playing like a German, and it's working very well for me. My assault teams are all equipped with MG's. I came out victorious.

With Amfreville secured, the entire way up the Cotentin Peninsula has been secured for the 4th I.D. However, I am going to be keeping my paras there on occupation duty and for rest, while I send the 4th I.D. east to link up with Omaha.

The first soldier we meet is Private First Class Cone, a gunner in an 81mm mortar team with the 115th Regiment of the 29th Infantry Division. Our young private has landed among the first wave of men on Dog Red sector of Omaha Beach. I shall play the battle out now and see what happens with him...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dog Red went alright. Pfc. Cone was unscathed, mainly because as a mortar gunner, his team stayed back while the rifle and BAR teams ran up the beach. However, I made a fatal mistake. Instead of sending engineer teams forward to clear paths through the minefields, I ran my infantry right through them. I got everybody off the beach and out of the line of sight of MG42's, but I paid for it with mine casualties. The Germans fell back, giving the 115th regiment a solid foothold. It is going to take another fight to clear the area entirely.

Last one for now!

The 18th Regiment of the 1st Infantry Division landed at Easy Red. Casualties weren't high for me here, but I didn't manage to take the widerstandsnester on the bluffs. I did, however, manage to secure the road inland. If I so choose, I can send the 18th inland and save the widerstandsnester to be mopped up later.

(Widerstandsnester, or 'resistance nests', were the groups of bunkers at the tops of the bluffs along the Atlantic Wall. They were numbered in sequential order from (I think) east to west. For example, WN62 would have been one of these mini-fortresses that had to be taken by the men who landed on D-Day.)

The 2nd Ranger Battalion landed at Pointe du Hoc, and were very successful. Again, most of my casualties were the result of mines and MG fire. I ordered a naval barrage on a series of bunkers that were full of Germans, and not a single shell hit its mark, making the task a bit more difficult for the Rangers.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast