Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

£250,000 for the Diaries of the Angel of Death !!

Article about: It's interesting to note that Mengele refers to himself in the 3rd person as "Andreas". This is a classic sign of a pompous and manipulative character. A person that refers to hims

Default Re: £250,000 for the Diaries of the Angel of Death !!

Gentlemen, I think that one or two of us need to calm down. You can argue your corner until the cows come home, but that ain't gonna change the realities involved in this ghoulish auction.....Let us leave it be and not fall out about something that nobody here can control.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by Frundsberg View Post
    Anyway, why You are so sure these notes are about the years 1933-1945 at all? As I understand there are some poetry and novels written by Mengele. And all this stuff is from period after WWII. And even if he was a war criminal - does it automatically mean we have to burn his notes?
    I don't know if people here are stating or believing that these are necessarily about the war period or even about the war....at least I've made no such assumption myself.
    Despite this there still seems to be people wanting to "burn" these notes, thereby making a blanket statement equal to an idea that everything related to this individual must be censored and destroyed...which imo is a totally pointless and ignorant point of view.
    What good would it do to burn these notes? Who would it help? I don't understand this urge to censor/destroy a bunch of post-war notes based on the deeds a man comitted nearly 70 years ago... atrocious as they may have been.
    If anything they should definetly be conserved properly and, if at all interesting/containing anything relevant, ideally be released in one form or another.

?

Everybodys opinion is welcome - from every point of view - and the thread has run in a civil and well mannered way. Please keep it so. We can agree to disagree on this emotive subject and no-one should be afraid to make their point. There is no right or wrong here.

KSH
    ?

"Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man am Ende auch Menschen."

"Wherever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn human beings.”

Quote by Heinrich Heine, 1933.

?

Mengele was reprehensible.
    BUT in all honesty if I could acquire his SS uniform, cap and acutrements. I would jump on it like a duck on a junebug.

From what the stories say, he at Least had his pistol in Paraguay....hmm...I wonder what ever happened to his Dagger...lol William

Quote by operaman View Post
    I resent being called ''ignorant'' I will be happy to discuss history,music,Zeppelin flights ,third Reich or any other subject that you might like to talk about.I still say burn it all . Everything he ever did should be destroyed. Since I seem to be the only one who feels this way I will not respond to any more posts.Nothing will change my mind about this one subject. Regards
    Zeppelin flights? That reminds me...I'd sure Love to get a hold of one of those neat Hindenburg flight souvenirs of the hanging metal zeppelin model with the glass belly full of gasoline. That would be almost the ultimate zep relic! William

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Lord Russel of Liverpool had another equally shocking book by the title of "The Scourge of the Swastika" that described atrocities such as Oradour-sur-Glane, Malmedy,etc. It's hard to fathom, after reading these books, just What he considered "too horrible" to print. It must have been horrific Indeed.... William
    I once borrowed his book on German war crime and partially read it and regret not buying a copy at the time. I think Lord Russell had a hard time going through the material that went into his works on both subjects as the omissions one can only imagine were just too horrible. I would imagine the US Archives may have a wealth of such material available to the modern author/researcher but there are so few books on this not so pleasant side to WW2. This brings me to a time when i worked at a factory years ago. There was this old boy who used to collect the meat knives up for cleaning and sterilisation. One day i came into work wearing a t-shirt with the rising sun on it. The old boy named George came over and said "If youd seen some of the things ive seen youd take that shirt off and burn it lad". Seeing that i was genuinely shocked at his scorn at my shirt i gathered hed fought the Japs in WW2 and asked him what he had seen. His reply centered around a village where the population of natives had been massacred by Japanes soldiers-he said "I saw bodies of women with their breasts sliced off and children tied to trees covered in bayonet stab wounds, women with their stomachs cut open". I apologised and said i would get rid of the shirt-and i did once home. I spoke with George frequently afterwards and found him a very warm kind old chap but i will never forget the look in his eyes that day when he saw that shirt i wore-it must have brought it all back to him bless him. Regards, Tim.

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Everybodys opinion is welcome - from every point of view - and the thread has run in a civil and well mannered way. Please keep it so. We can agree to disagree on this emotive subject and no-one should be afraid to make their point. There is no right or wrong here.
    Totally agree with the sentiments from Adrian if Operaman would burn these items or at least get rid of them that is his personal opinion on the subject , that doesn't in any way make him ignorant so let's not be using insulting words when they are not needed !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

From the several furious "smileys" I take it that operaman was probably insulted by my general statement about this kind of censorship attitude ( I seem to have been the only one to utter the "ignor..." word), I did however not even notice his particular post in this thread...I was more referring to some of the comments on the posted link page.
    And I truly hope and believe that Adrian's statement was meant for both "sides", not just the one represented here by operaman. I see no specifically directed personal attacks or unfounded arguments in this thread, which is all that matters, to me at least.

So again, not directed towards him or anyone in particular really...I, of course, still stand by my statements as what I said is my own personal opinion, one I firmly believe to be both an objective, reasonable and logically coherent reply to an idea of destroying historical documents.
    Last edited by slados28; 07-22-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast