Become our sponsor and display your banner here

3 Ideas For A Cheap Helmet Stand

Article about: I bought these 3 items today at a thrift store, looking for ideas to make a cheap, but decent looking helmet stand for a M42 German Helmet. The lamp bases were \\$2 each, and the wooden post w

Default 3 Ideas For A Cheap Helmet Stand

I bought these 3 items today at a thrift store, looking for ideas to make a cheap, but decent looking helmet stand for a M42 German Helmet. The lamp bases were $2 each, and the wooden post was $3. I think the eagle lamp base looks interesting with possibilities. Of course the socket, harp, and all wiring would be removed. Then maybe add a post with a rubber cap so the helmet rests on the cap. Maybe add a good vinyl swastika or Iron Cross sticker to the base under the eagle. Perhaps paint the wooden parts a little darker?

For the wooden post, I might cut off 2/3 off the top since it already has a base. Maybe put a small post on top with a rubber cap. Thinking about putting a repo Iron Cross on the lower section where it is flat.

With the shinny metal lamp base, I'd remove all wiring and bulbs. I thought that the 3 sockets could somehow be fitted to support the helmet. (?).

What do you guys think? Any possibilities here for a helmet stand? Any ideas what you would do? Thrift store are full of things like this.

See photos below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: 3 Ideas For A Cheap Helmet Stand

Personally, I like using wood for stands as they add warmth and
    look nice. Great potential there in those old lamps - the one
    with the eagle is cool - You'll have to experiment with
    them and see what works best.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

The eagle lamp is pretty cool, it would make a great stand with a bit of modding, good luck

What a great idea! Thanks Tigertoby! I'm sure my wife will not notice one missing either Just kidding A great idea and there are lamps at every thrift store known to man.

Mark

?

Some pretty interesting ideas TB.
    Looking forward to seeing the results.

Brad.

?

1 US WWII.jpg

The lamp bases look pretty cool. I buy 4"x4"x 8' cedar posts and cut them down to 9 or 10 equal lengths. Then use my chop saw to angle the top with about a 1" flat spot right at the top. Put a 1" diameter felt furniture pad at the top for a cushion. Print out the battle/country flag on card stock and glue to the post. For extra interest, attach nails or screws to hang badges or medals, drill a small hole to attach collar pins, or put on "L" hooks to hold a bayonet. Costs less than US$2 per stand; but I like them because they are stable, heavy, and rough looking to compliment the nature of the helmet.
    Last edited by mcmike; 04-14-2013 at 05:26 PM.

?

Stands.jpg

Detail. for awhile I was attaching a flat board to the bottom, but found that this was unnecessary.

I like your stands mcmike. Easy to make and low cost too. I like how you can add what you want to the stand to match the helmet.

Great helmet stand ideas here! I really like the potential of the lamps!

I designed simple wooden ones and built these out of scrap oak. I put padding on top before placing a helmet on it. I sometimes put a belt or buckle on it, or leave room for a chinstrap to be displayed.

For US helmets I use canteens as helmet stands. I borrowed this idea from another collector--and with no space to display the canteens themselves this has proven practical for me.

Looking forward to seeing more ideas here!
    -Johannes

DSC02520.JPGDSC02514.JPG