4 place Parade set 8yr SS Medal

Article about: 4 medal parade mount featuring a 8 yr SS medal

Default 4 place Parade set 8yr SS Medal

4 medal parade mount featuring a 8 yr SS medal
    Attached Images Attached Images

CBH
    ?

The 8 year SS looks fake to me .

If it has an 8 year, it should also have the 4 year.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

My thoughts exactly Bob. Where is the 4 yr medal?

That's a bit of a dopey mounting for a group. Also the blue corn ribbons have either plucks from re-mounting or devices having been on the ribbons previously that have been removed. Leon.

CBH
    ?

The 8 year should have teardrop shaped ribbon loop and a tool-worked suspension loop , not a round one like on this example .

The 8 year medal is a post war fake attributed to the maker Souval and has been documented as being on the collector market since the early 70's. It's often referred to as the "Thorny Fake" due to the exaggerated "spikes" between the oak leaves. The background stippling is also too coarse, and if you could actually see the lettering on the reverse side clearly straight on, the thick, dull, clunky looking inscription is an immediate giveaway when compared to the sharp, crisp rendition on original examples, which in this case is assumed to be the type II award previously known as the Petz & Lorenz type as there are some similarities to it.

Hopefully that clears this one up decisively.

Regards, Ned.
    Last edited by big ned; 02-06-2017 at 12:14 AM. Reason: spellink.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Another attempt to mix in the bad with the good
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    If it has an 8 year, it should also have the 4 year.
    No, actually. Only the highest grade of the SS long service award was to be worn. From the Satzung der SS-Dienstauszeichnung [Statutes for the SS Service Award], section 3, no. 8 (RGBl. I Nr. 8 of 30 Jan. 1938, pg. 67):

"Bei Verleihung der SS-Dienstauszeichnung einer höheren Stufe wird die niedere Stufe abgelegt."
    ["Upon award of a higher grade of the SS Service Award, the lower grade is taken off."]

Note that this is just for the sake of accuracy and to avoid any possibly genuine bars to be considered fake for the wrong reasons.

Of course, the bar in this thread is still no good. Also, considering the time period in which the service awards and the armed SS formations existed, the combination of the SS 8 year service award and the civil service 25 year service award is an extremely unlikely one anyway.

Surely, this is a period bar that has been messed with and once held some other service award that was replaced by the fake SS medal to increase value.

Thank you gentleman for all of the information. I didn't like the 8 yr piece for the ribbon looked liked it was buggered with in the past plus the rounded ring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast