Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

the Tower of London Poppies.

Article about: I was in London this week and saw this commemorative installation. You can buy the poppies online if you want one and each is named to a different soldier who fell in the Great War. I had sp

Hi, I actually managed to get one after the sell out ! Mine came over the weekend. Mine is also with Mud.
    image.jpg

There is one of these currently for sale on gumtree for £995, a shocking case of profiteering and I hope no one buys it. It should be removed.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Last week I had the good fortune to catch the last week of the Tower of London Poppies on display at St. Magnus's Cathedral in Kirkwall on Orkney as part of the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Jutland in a display called the weeping window.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Last week I had the good fortune to catch the last week of the Tower of London Poppies on display at St. Magnus's Cathedral in Kirkwall on Orkney as part of the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Jutland in a display called the weeping window.
    Nice one Jerry. Were you there for the Jutland commemorations?
    I know there is a lot of archaeology on the Islands

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    Nice one Jerry. Were you there for the Jutland commemorations?
    I know there is a lot of archaeology on the Islands
    I visited most of the major archaeology sites and also saw the Jutland exhibition in Orkney museum as well as the restored Kitchener monument and the new memorial wall for HMS Hampshire though missed the main Jutland commemorations.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I visited most of the major archaeology sites and also saw the Jutland exhibition in Orkney museum as well as the restored Kitchener monument and the new memorial wall for HMS Hampshire though missed the main Jutland commemorations.
    I have visited the stone circles myself, apparently they are older than Stonehenge ? Did you drive across the Churchill Barriers ? I also visited the Italian Chapel while I was there and saw the site of the Royal Oak, there is buoy to mark the spot where she was sunk
    I was not so interested in military history in those days so unfortunately did not take any pictures damn it !

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    I have visited the stone circles myself, apparently they are older than Stonehenge ? Did you drive across the Churchill Barriers ? I also visited the Italian Chapel while I was there and saw the site of the Royal Oak, there is buoy to mark the spot where she was sunk
    I was not so interested in military history in those days so unfortunately did not take any pictures damn it !
    I crossed the barriers every day as we stayed on S. Ronaldsway, I saw some of the block ships from before they were built, visited the Italian chapel but did not notice the buoy you mention. I also visited the hoxa Head battery with remains from both world wars.

I also visited and took photo's of a few war memorials to locals who fell during the wars.
    Regards,

Jerry

Its been 13 years since I was there, the buoy was there then, was pointed out to me by the guy I was working with, he gave me a great tour of the Islands and even gave me a car to use for a couple of weeks, I was staying in Dounby not far from Kirkwall
    This is a good site:
    Scapa Flow : Historic Wreck Site

The wreck of HMS Royal Oak is one kilometre west of Gaitnip Hill in Scapa Bay. A Scapa Bay green-coloured channel buoy marks the location. On the buoy is a plaque reading:

"This marks the wreck of HMS Royal Oak and the grave of her crew. Respect their resting place. Unauthorised diving prohibited."

Thanks for the pics Jerry, brings back fond memories

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4