Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Market garden 1944-2014

Article about: Eidhoven, a city nearby where I live, was in 1944 liberated on September 18. This year it was 70 years ago and some festivities are held these days as a token of rememberance. Yesterday ther

One can't get enough!
    The celebrations, in relation to Market Garden and our liberators, give the "Eindhovens Dagblad"
    (our newspaper from the area) still reasons to report.

Of course here and there exhibitions are held for those, interested in our liberation and WWII, as for example
    in the small village of Asten. A young boy asked the exhibitor if the star for the Jews is a real one, says the article!

img237.jpg

Further a nice photo of a soldier, guarding the Bailey-bridge: Don't you dare to come over. This is my area!

img239.jpg

For today the last photo: a 92-old vet from the USA meets scouts.

img240.jpg

The series of my "random choice" coverage slowly will be ended one of these days. In lieu of Market Garden my
    hometown Helmond was liberated September 25. As mentioned: A ceremony will be held for those killed here.
    The celebration however also is dedicated to those that were killed during Dutch actions in the former colony
    Nederlands Indiƫ and elsewhere. My thoughts are to end with a photograph from this celebration. So on Friday!

As promised, my last contribution to this thread.
    Yesterdat about 14.30 hours a celebration was held in honor of those killed in Helmond or from Helmond.
    The ceremony was attended by a few, still living, British liberators. The 90-year old vet Ray Parker held a
    speech and a poem was read, written by Eric Parker, an "Irish Guardsman", who was one of the liberators
    and present during the ceremony!

Helmod-1 image-4550149.jpg

In the evening there was a big liberation-concert in open air. With this my thread has ended!

Helmond-2 img258.jpg

?

022.jpgFantastic thread Wilhelm , here is a photo of my friend Stan Hodge MM , i was lucky enough to have him with me in Arnhem last weekend. Stan was with the 4th Dorsets , 43 Wessex Wyvern Divison and fought around Driel and the " Island " before carrying out the assault crossing over the lower Rhine to try and reach British First Airborne in the early hours of 25/9/44 !!

?

014.jpg

My other veteran Alan Aldcroft 4 Para Sq RE who dropped at Ginkel Heide on 18/9/44 on the right , at Ginkel Heide on 20/9/2014 !!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3