Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

About waste of bandwidth and time on the forum

Article about: I am sorry to bring thise up! Not ment to sart a fight, because I highly rescpect and like Adrian and the people who "liked" Adrian's post!! But closing the threat http://www.warre

Default Re: About waste of bandwidth and time on the forum

The really annoying thing on ebay topics is that the pictures in 9 out of 10 are inadequate. Always.
    The first thing any new collector that participates in a forum should know is details and good photos are important , I dare even say they should be mandatory.
    People shouldn't just post to get answers for themselves but for the community.
    It also always a bummer if you see topics on crap helmets reaching two or more pages when the good original ones get only a few replies.

I understand where Ade's coming from , the resources of the host should be used for the best possible topics.

look i know that item was a bit sad but what classes as a good item to sume might be a bad item to others we all have different tasts in what we think is good. or what is good in there price range.

?

Quote by geelong View Post
    look i know that item was a bit sad but what classes as a good item to sume might be a bad item to others we all have different tasts in what we think is good. or what is good in there price range.
    The point is that all these items being posted from E Bay are rubbish and that is the reason for the posting !!

Has this point not been explained enough already !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    The really annoying thing on ebay topics is that the pictures in 9 out of 10 are inadequate. Always.
    The first thing any new collector that participates in a forum should know is details and good photos are important , I dare even say they should be mandatory.
    People shouldn't just post to get answers for themselves but for the community.
    It also always a bummer if you see topics on crap helmets reaching two or more pages when the good original ones get only a few replies.

I understand where Ade's coming from , the resources of the host should be used for the best possible topics.
    Whilst I agree that filling the site up with obviously garbage German helmets from Ebay is not a good idea -though some are so bad that they are worth seeing for comedy value perhaps- but who decides what are the best possible topics? Is that those topics that get the most views, as just about anything WWII German gets far more views and/or opinions than most other things posted, and do those of us who collect less "interesting" material stop posting it because we know only a minority will ever look at them and even less will have anything to post on them. Even the garbage helmet thread that started this discussion has had more views than most threads in the allies section for instance, so obviously it is more interesting than many other threads posted on the forum to the forum members. There is yet another thread on yet another garbage FJ helmet that has had over 500 views last time I looked so there is obviously a lot of interest in these sorts of threads or otherwise they would not attract so many views. If the members here choose to stop looking at such garbage threads, then maybe people will stop posting them, but until the collective forum mentality changes and members stop viewing such threads, they will get posted again and again. German WWII helmets and anything SS are the main draw to the viewing membership or so it seems and no matter how much that might irritate those of us who do not collect such items, that is the way it is.

Maybe deleting such threads as soon as they are noticed by a moderator will stop the forum becoming cluttered up with them but will probably not stop them being posted.

Anyway after a long digression, back to my question, who decides what are the best possible topics?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I am with Jerry on thise one!
    Exept that I wouldn't push it to ask who decides for what are the best topics.
    But I am in favor that some threads would be deleted after a certain time.
    Discussion could go on over who would decide what is to be deleted or just undo those threads of irrelevant or excessive pictures, but I think mod's would be given a fiat for that.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by stuka f View Post
    I am with Jerry on thise one!
    Exept that I wouldn't push it to ask who decides for what are the best topics.
    But I am in favor that some threads would be deleted after a certain time.
    Discussion could go on over who would decide what is to be deleted or just undo those threads of irrelevant or excessive pictures, but I think mod's would be given a fiat for that.
    |<
    It was a rhetorical question Kris and I was responding to another members suggestion for such to be adopted, as I don't think it could really be done and would undoubtedly be open to dispute and one person could not avoid subjectivity whilst consent by committee would also be impracticable. I think the forum members vote with what they view as to what they want to see and that is probably the best way, except in regard to certain topics which are already excluded to avoid arguments.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

No-one can decide on the best possible topics but in the case of the threads we have been discussing, there is enough groundswell of dissent over them to decide these threads really are a waste of time and the forum staff ask they don't get started with such annoying regularity.

As has already been mentioned, it is very frustrating that a chamber pot from ebay can attract more views and replies than an original or rare piece of militaria. We aren't here to heap scorn on every piece of freshly painted scrap metal on auction sites but to discuss our collective hobby and the subjects thereof. This junk from ebay and the like are not exactly what we have in mind.

If any member wants to dedicate themselves to the pursuit of finding the worst piece of militaria on the market then they are free to do so but please start another forum solely for the ridicule of the rare SS Synchronised Swimming helmets or SS Airborne U-Boat display team badges and their derivatives......

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

if it were posted in the relic thred under the title is this to much $ would it have had less vews.

If any member wants to dedicate themselves to the pursuit of finding the worst piece of militaria on the market then they are free to do so but please start another forum solely for the ridicule of the rare SS Synchronised Swimming helmets or SS Airborne U-Boat display team badges and their derivatives......
    You are totaly right Adrian, but then I get back to my first post where I stated;"I also see little difference in the threat Dan started and "The Best of the Worst...a Study in Edged Weapon Alter Art ....for example!".
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by Little Mermaid View Post
    Bandwidth:

I think there are some misleading terms being used here. Bandwidth is an incorrect term. It’s about Data Storage. This Website and all the information contained within, takes up a lot of space. Server Data storage, Hosting is not cheap, not cheap at all. All these useless threads take up space, that’s maybe what the MODs concerns are, data storage costs a lot of money. I know a little about it because it’s what I do for a living.....most of the time! haha (from poster in this thread).
    The technical issue is surely both data storage and bandwidth. Bandwidth being the available or consumed data communication resources used by forum members, guests accessing and adding too the WRF data storage server ...junk adds loading to the bandwidth and increases data storage space.

A neat feature would be to have an "Expiry date button" feature that Mods could assign to these "junk" articles so once the puff has gone out of the thread it would naturally expire deleting all of the data from the forum server. Saving both data storage and bandwidth

An even better feature (and probably simpler to implement) would be if members just self-moderated some of their own "what is it, is it real and what's it worth" posts.........hopefully this not a case of practice what you preach
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast