Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Admin. Question

Article about: I am a new member and want to ask if it is appropriate to state the price being asked for items that are shown in this forum for Identification? Thanks.

?

Default Admin. Question

I am a new member and want to ask if it is appropriate to state the price being asked for items that are shown in this forum for Identification? Thanks.

Quote by Liam View Post
    I am a new member and want to ask if it is appropriate to state the price being asked for items that are shown in this forum for Identification? Thanks.
    If you are posting an item and state the asking price, I have no problem with that and you MAY get an answer.
    If someone else is asking the value of something they do not know, I refuse to give a price because prices are subjective and what one person values something at, may be totally different than what someone else thinks it is worth.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Quote by Liam View Post
    If, for example, somebody is asking the value of an item they are considering, such as "I saw this on X and they are asking €100, is that a fair price..?", you may well be fine with that and find members reply accordingly. However, one thing this site is NOT, is a valuation service for fly-by-night visitors too lazy to do their homework.

Hi, personally my opinion is that you may ask, but be prepared to be told exactly what Ralph has stated. I am of the opinion that something is worth what you are prepared to pay, never collect for "investment/re-sale" considerations. I collect simply for the historical interest and when I "move things on" I more often than not let them go for less than I paid!! Financial suicide maybe, but if something else of interest comes my way, that sometimes has to be the way. Leon.

CBH
    ?

I feel there is a big difference between the many "What's it Worth" Threads and the question if "Is this a good price".
    Appraisals don't happen around here, but members would gladly tell you if a dealers price is reasonable or not.
    Too many one post wonders who only want an items value so they can hock it on flee bay.

MAP
    ?

Agree. Helping someone not to get ripped off (or to pay a fair price) is one thing, but helping someone to turn a profit on our work is another.

It's also all "how you ask" the question.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Agree. Helping someone not to get ripped off (or to pay a fair price) is one thing, but helping someone to turn a profit on our work is another.

It's also all "how you ask" the question.
    Too true Michael, there is one member in particular who turns up here in short "bursts" weeks or months apart asking for values in the same areas of collecting, yet claims to know next to nothing about them! They always seem to be on offer from a good friend who he does not want to rip off, yet when he gets a confirmation about value seems to get them for bargain prices?? Suffice to say, I have not commented on a single post of this members for some years! I once posted something that was in this members supposed area of expertise to see if he had "sussed out" my silent appraisal of him. I guess he had as he did not post a comment despite looking at the thread! Leon.

MAP
    ?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Too true Michael, there is one member in particular who turns up here in short "bursts" weeks or months apart asking for values in the same areas of collecting, yet claims to know next to nothing about them! They always seem to be on offer from a good friend who he does not want to rip off, yet when he gets a confirmation about value seems to get them for bargain prices?? Suffice to say, I have not commented on a single post of this members for some years! I once posted something that was in this members supposed area of expertise to see if he had "sussed out" my silent appraisal of him. I guess he had as he did not post a comment despite looking at the thread! Leon.
    Hmmm...I wonder who that might be???? Let me think about that for a nano second!

On second thought, I don't need to think that long!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)