MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Advice on selling required please

Article about: Valuation and selling advice required please. I am not a collector but I do have several hundred individual Lufftwaffe insignia and other items which I inherited from my father. These items

?

Default Advice on selling required please

Valuation and selling advice required please.

I am not a collector but I do have several hundred individual Lufftwaffe insignia and other items which I inherited from my father.

These items sat in my grandmothers loft for the best part of 40 years before I recovered them and I have now had them for 25 years or so during which time they have also sat in my loft. I have little interest in most of them and do not see the point in just hoarding them. I think it is best to sell the collection so that genuine collectors can appreciate the items.

Some of the items I have previoulsy posted about on the forum in an attempt to identify them.

Because I have not identified many of the items, nor obtained values for them I am reluctant to put them on a site like ebay.

The pinned thread which quite rightly requests sellers place a price with the objects being sold on the forum suggests it is easy to locate a value for most objects on the web.

I have had little success in this over the past several years apart from the usual high dealer values which do not strike me as prices that most collectors would wish to, or be able to pay.

I will be grateful if anyone point me in the direction of a site or sites where I can indentify and if possible value the items I have so that I can start disposing of my collection before I lose interest again and consign it back to the loft.

Thank you in advance

?

Default Re: Advice on selling required please

Well,if you could post pictures there are many on here that can give you a price they would give you a low and high so you can decide.if you post i can help the best i can.

I see items for sale all the time on line, at shows and from private collections. Post your items and I think we can collectively come up with decent ball park prices. NH

?

Aemt, i think the best bet is to firstly go through the items yourself, and seperate them into groups ie items that are the same, the odds and sods leave till last and then post them all on here, that would give people a chance to view and to see what prices would be appropriate, remember to give clear close up shots of the items both front and back and any markings that may be present, E-bay would not be in your best interests in my opinion, hope to see the groupings very soon

Here is my advice:

E Bay is a non starter as these are German items and they are not allowed. Trying to sell there is more trouble than it is worth.

Clearly this is going to be a mammoth task if there are several hundred items. Taking good pics of them, back and front and perhaps some detailed shots, is going to be time consuming.

If you wish to sell the whole collection in one job lot, a dealer would be the way to go. But clearly they, of course, need to make a profit and I think reading your post you would prefer to sell at fair values to collectors rather than to someone who is going to make money on them?

But regardless of what you choose, you need to know exactly what you have. Selling blind is not a good idea as you could be badly ripped off.

I am prepared to help and I am sending you a PM.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thank you all for your prompt replies and apologies for posting the thread in the wrong section.

I do have photographs of all the items and have grouped them. They are all as far as I can tell brand new unused items which my father acquired at source. I can imagine it would be a large thread if I posted them togther. I assume I should post them as groups. Which section should I start the threads in?

Once again many thanks for the help.

I can always move a thread if it is in the wrong place, no problem.

Best to have several smaller threads. One huge thread will get complicated.

Insignia in the Luftwaffe uniforms forum and Orders, awards etc in the Decorations forum.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Sound advice above, one thing I would add though is please, please post decent photos of your items. Very often someone wants a value placed upon a vague blurred shape that's impossible to identify let alone tell if it's original or not. Good pics will help us to help you and will also help in any potential sales. Like Ade, I'm at the end of a PM if you want any help with the TR Awards and Decorations.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Thank you again. I am sorting the pictures out now and will see if I can get some threads started.