Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It all started 100 years ago today

Article about: I think the thing i find most interesting was that since machine guns weren't as big in the wars before when they came into this war people had to drop down, dig so that they had somewhere t

I think the thing i find most interesting was that since machine guns weren't as big in the wars before when they came into this war people had to drop down, dig so that they had somewhere to hide and then to dig a trench to their buddies and thus the trenches may be a less educated look at it but it isn't far from the truth

?

I grew up among veterans of both WWI and WWII, as well as the Korean War in an American Legion Hall in Queens, NY. Having seen the worst of humanity, I can tell you that they all were civically conscience and contributed greatly to their community. I can also tell you that having seen what they had, they really like to have a good time and shared a fellowship and support system the likes of which I've never seen anywhere else.

For the more adventurous history reader an interesting take on the origins of WWI:

Hidden History: The Secret Origins of the First World War by Gerry Docherty, James MacGregor
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Default WW1 Hamburger Hill

Hi, with reference to , The Somme ( 60,000 in the first day ) I have visited most of the WW1 battlefield sites, these pics show a slow drawn out hill which caused so many heroes to die.

Check out the large plaques and how many names there are, then check out how many plaques there are.
    The last pic only shows part of the plaques, but you can imagine the scale.

It was a sad day there, just looking down the hill, you could just feel for these men fighting their way up the hill, climbing over their dead comrades bodies and even horses, ( back bone of any non mechanised army ) etc. These days saw the birth of Machine guns, artillery peaces, wholesale slaughter was born.

The last time I can remember being that sad and thoughtful was when I was at Bayeux cemetery in Normandy.

Zonnebeke & Poperinge... West Flanders.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg I found this beauty ( note the pin ) a few miles away in a field along with a marine fossil, apparently years ago all this ground was covered by the sea !!!

Regards SK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12