MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

It all started 100 years ago today

Article about: I think the thing i find most interesting was that since machine guns weren't as big in the wars before when they came into this war people had to drop down, dig so that they had somewhere t

Default It all started 100 years ago today

100 years ago today Arch Duke Ferdinand was assassinated, which was the catalyst for the Great War. An event that lead to so much loss of life and devastation of swathes of the world, not just in Europe.

How different would the world be today if this had not happened, so many changes resulted because of this single event.

Let us not forget those who paid the ultimate price for this action.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

To be honest Jerry Europe was a tinderbox just waiting for that spark to ignite the fury,the distrust between the superpowers was at its highest,I have always believed that even if Franz had heeded the warnings regarding his visit to Sarajevo War was still inevitable and another event would have been blamed,basically everyone was looking for an excuse to kick off............

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    To be honest Jerry Europe was a tinderbox just waiting for that spark to ignite the fury,the distrust between the superpowers was at its highest,I have always believed that even if Franz had heeded the warnings regarding his visit to Sarajevo War was still inevitable and another event would have been blamed,basically everyone was looking for an excuse to kick off............
    Indeed Jake, if not this event, something else would probably have set it off.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

100 years ago, amazing. I still remember clearly as a kid the amount of blokes you'd see in their 60's, 70's and 80's missing legs and arms and carrying who knows what mental scars, it was very common to see. Now they are all gone. Lest we Forget.

Hi, one hundred years today, shocking, along with all walks of life who experienced the war death and misery was a common thing. But with war comes, a culling to our over growing population, also advanced ideas, and technology. Would we really be were we are if there was no WW1 and WW2. ( not mentioning the Aliens)
    I do agree Europe wanted a war in 1914. AH was spared more than 3 times in WW1, and a lot more in WW2. AH was a very good painter but Vienna turned him down, is all this our destiny?!! Etc,etc.
    But I am grateful for all those who fought and died for our freedom.
    Regards SK

Quote by Silberkreuz View Post
    AH was spared more than 3 times in WW1, and a lot more in WW2.
    Regards SK
    What a shame, so many good men died during WW1 but this bastard survived.

I've been studying WW1 recently. It was such a terrible conflict. I can't imagine any time in history worse than the Battles of Ypres and the Somme. It is truly horrific what these soldiers went through.

By the way, if anybody is into podcasts, and interested in the early stages of WW1, I highly recommend listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History series "Blueprint for Armageddon". Here is the link: Dan Carlin - Podcasts, Merchandise, Blog, and Community Website
    It is very good.

everyone thought it would just be a quick war over by christmas and then everything hit the fan...

The newspapers were all full of "fun" and whimsical articles in the years before the conflict began. Everyone seemed to be eagerly looking forward to the war as some sort of frolic or lark. They had been excitedly building up new ships, weapons and idiotically giggling over who had the best preparations and equipment and how quick the war would be decided. An opinion that changed Very Quickly....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

It's interesting to compare the uniforms of each nation's military in 1914 to the uniforms in 1918. Warfare transformed so quickly in a short amount of time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast