Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Allow my photos to be used in a book??

Article about: What do you think people, is this legit? If so, I am happy to let them be used. Thanks for any opinions posted Dear Jerry, my name is Daniel Lis and I am writing on behalf of Erica Publisher

Default Allow my photos to be used in a book??

What do you think people, is this legit? If so, I am happy to let them be used.

Thanks for any opinions posted

Dear Jerry,

my name is Daniel Lis and I am writing on behalf of Erica Publishers and mediahistoryczne.pl from Poland. We are going to publish a new book written by Kamil Janicki, a Polish historian. It's going to start a new series of books about different aspects of casual life of soldiers, who fought in World War II (especially recreation in their spare time: for example games, party, drinking beer or wine and so on). All that what we called 'soldier's view'. On arfikakorps.forumcrea.com I have found some incredibly interesting pictures and I think it would be great if we could use them in our book.

There are four of them:
    then he post links to them which you can't access on this forum.

I would like to ask you for permission to use these photos in the book. Erica Publishers is a small business publishing house, this book will be in fact a scientific book with really small circulation and our budget is very small. Therefore, I would like to ask, is it possible to obtain free copies (300 dpi) of pictures from your archives? Of course, in return the book will include a special thanks to you and we will send you a copy of the book when it will be ready. It would be really fantastic to show these pictures of Afrika Korps soldiers to Polish readers.

We would like to finish this work very soon. Therefore, please let me know as soon as possible.
    Thank you in advance for your reply.

With best wishes,
    Daniel Lis
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: Allow my photos to be used in a book??

Ask for a fee

Rob

Scam, most likely. Ignore it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Do some research Jerry. Maybe have a talk with Kamil Janicki. He is not hard to find. Erica publishers, i don't know. Too many different hits. I agree with BCP. Maybe they just want your pics as cheap as possible/for free. The world is not as it once was. I guess you know that already.

Hi Jerry, I expect you will have already done a search etc on the company and author? Everyone always pleads poverty in these situations. Books make money for the publishers and not the authors or contributors. (In a similar vein, our re-enactment group must get 4 "offers" a year for us to take part gratis in films and docs...)

It depends on how much you rate the images, as once published, the perceived "value" might diminish.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks to those who responded. I am inclined to decline, as from what I can understand, the author seems to treat his subject matter rather less seriously than I would expect and certainly less seriously than I do.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by Bond View Post
    Thanks to those who responded. I am inclined to decline, as from what I can understand, the author seems to treat his subject matter rather less seriously than I would expect and certainly less seriously than I do.
    I'm just a tad nosey here. What have you found out about the author?

Jerry

Ask them to send a written request from their office. Maybe you can verify if the company exists and is legit, through this route.

Green

[ATTACH]Photos of TR photos 131.jpg[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

I agree with Ade. Everyone wants something for nothing - and all the glory.

Hardly a 'scientific' publication if the subjects are only soldiers at leisure ? !
    It would be interesting to know what the written content of the book is,
    how many photos the book will contain in total, and also how small
    the circulation might actually be - 500 copies ? 1000 copies ?
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 02-15-2012 at 03:10 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

I just had this happen to me a couple months ago. Someone on a different forum
    approached me about using one of my photos in a book on Imperial aviation badges.
    I had never heard of this gentleman before. I did a bit of checking up on him and the
    end result is my picture in his book.

It's pretty cool looking through a book and seeing part of your collection in it, and your
    name in the credits.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.