Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Any other interests in history?

Article about: by Poromies You are very lucky TrondK I plan to visit Gamla Uppsala and the archaeological site of Birka this summer when I am visiting my father. Thank you. Lets hope you will have a great

Default Re: Any other interests in history?

I am interested in Australian history, in particular the shipwrecks of the Dutch East India Company (VOC) which are scattered along the West Australian coast. I completed a short course on maritime archeology several years back at the Fremantle Maritime Museum to learn a bit more about the subject. I also love anything to do with the bushranger Ned Kelly. I have been involved in several archeaological field trips to Kelly related sites including one where I was lucky enough to rediscover the ruins of a long thought to be lost hut in dense bushland which related to the shootout at Stringybark Creek in 1878. I was pretty proud of myself for that as I was credited with the discovery in a book which was released on Ned Kelly a year or so after I rediscovered the hut.
    I also love Australias convict history, my ancestors were hand selected by some of the finest magistrates in the whole of England to colonize my part of the world, something I'm also quite proud of! Cheers, Dave.

I've always had an avid interest in History since I can remember. My personal library grew to thousands of diverse books and ended up taking up half of the upstairs of my house-in fact, I bought a large house with that directly in mind and had ceiling to floor shelves built and installed in 4 large rooms that weren't being used. As far as what subjects caught my interest, that would be quite a list. But areas of History? Well, let's see... Naturally, German WWI & WWII. Irish History, Celtic, Pre-Norman British Isles, Norse, Roman, Mongol, Tartar, Greek, Arab, British Colonial, Canadian Colonial, The Spanish Conquest, El Cid, most all Pre-Columbian Americas-Inca, Aztec, Mayan,etc. American Colonial, Revolution, 1812, Civil War, Indian Wars, WWI & II, Space, and probably many more that I'll think of later. For Non-History areas of interest- Vintage Irish Folklore, Genealogy, Phenomenology, Classic and Ancient Literature, Travel, Archeology, Paleontology, and the list goes on by the day. No doubt, I'll leave my wife a Heinous headache to take care of when I'm gone..."Uhh....Sorry 'bout that, Hon..." lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

mpw
    ?

Quote by TrondK View Post
    I have tried to post photos here on this forum but it is not possible. I have read the "how to post photos" in the tech forum. But Its Impossible!

The only way you can see my thors hammer must be to "goggle" my name and use the "photos" option. Then the photo should be there for you to see.
    Im sorry but that is the only way i can show the thors hammer pendant to you. My Name to goggle: Trond Kolstoe
    Here you go Trond.

Torshammer_trond.png

Regards, Mark.

?

Thank you very much Mark.

Personal individual history during a time periode, always intrested me!
    That brings me in having intrest in most regional and general history.
    Also my propper history, I would love to think I have Viking roots, but I think the Spanish did interferd that idea in the 16 th century.....
    ....or the French in the 19 th...
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    cheers
    |<ris

All history holds a fasination with me. But the Neolithic period, Ancient Egypt and Ancient Rome are my particular interests. I too like Viking stuff, which seems to be a common trait with us, as my family come from the Danelaw too.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Quote by TIGER88 View Post
    That will be a wonderful trip Paul. Do share some images upon your return, if you would be so kind.

Regards,

Carl
    It'll be a pleasure Carl !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Just found a copy of the Poetic Edda in the local library, I have been looking for it so long.

My family name is Woolgar. According to this link I have Saxon ancestry.

Woolgar One-Name Study

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    I am interested in Australian history, in particular the shipwrecks of the Dutch East India Company (VOC) which are scattered along the West Australian coast. I completed a short course on maritime archeology several years back at the Fremantle Maritime Museum to learn a bit more about the subject. I also love anything to do with the bushranger Ned Kelly. I have been involved in several archeaological field trips to Kelly related sites including one where I was lucky enough to rediscover the ruins of a long thought to be lost hut in dense bushland which related to the shootout at Stringybark Creek in 1878. I was pretty proud of myself for that as I was credited with the discovery in a book which was released on Ned Kelly a year or so after I rediscovered the hut.
    I also love Australias convict history, my ancestors were hand selected by some of the finest magistrates in the whole of England to colonize my part of the world, something I'm also quite proud of! Cheers, Dave.
    Had a great visit to Freo Prison last year Dave , some interesting charachters spent some time within it's walls !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast