Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Any truth in Thomas Cooper's apparent stories?

Article about: Hello, I was wondering if there was any truth( evidence) to Thomas coopers boasts of being a concentration camp guard and killing I think 60? People in one day. Thanks Daniel

Default Any truth in Thomas Cooper's apparent stories?

Hello,
    I was wondering if there was any truth( evidence) to Thomas coopers boasts of being a concentration camp guard and killing I think 60? People in one day.

Thanks
    Daniel

A little more info or a link may help Dan, otherwise a lot of folks won't bother looking unless their interest is piqued....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

The source that Adrian has posted is almost certainly based on Adrian Weale's book Renegades: Hitler's Englishmen (1994; revised edition 2002), which includes the history of the British Free Corps. Its a good book which is based primarily on sources in the British National Archives. The only important source that the author does not seem to have had access to was the file from the Security Services (KV2/254), however, the Home Office files that he used would have utilised this file so I doubt that anything crucial was missed. The files on Cooper are at: The National Archives | Search results(Thomas AND Cooper))

In Weale's book there is full account of Cooper's claims, which centre on atrocities carried out in Warsaw (pp.68-69), that he later boasted of to members of the BFC when he was transferred to them. I'd scan and post the pages but they are copyright - However, the book is easily obtainable and cheap, but make sure you get the revised edition published by Pimlico in 2002.

Philip

Indeed, Adrian's book is a "must have" for anyone interested in the subject.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!