Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Anyone know about Omega Watches?

Article about: Off to an auction tomorrow of bankrupt stock. I'd really like to treat myself to an Ocean Seamaster but there's so many models and RRP prices vary. I'm going to limit my max bids to around £

?

Default Anyone know about Omega Watches?

Off to an auction tomorrow of bankrupt stock.
    I'd really like to treat myself to an Ocean Seamaster but there's so many models and RRP prices vary.
    I'm going to limit my max bids to around £500 and see how it goes but is there anything I should know about these watches before hand?
    Cheers
    Ben

Default Re: Anyone know about Omega Watches?

The Omega Seamaster's came in a large variety of types.(I have a 1955 Stainless vintage one I wear on occasion) First, of course, is the case material. They generally are seen in Stainless Steel but did also come in solid Gold as well(The Seamaster Deluxe), so if you see one in either, both are proper. If solid Gold, look for the Omega marked 14 or 18K Buckle on the strap. Quite often these get replaced and are not original to the piece. The main thing is quite often the Dials will be refinished and not original- this is normal, as they did Age over the decades, but some "purists" insist on no refinishing. If Original, look for the word "Swiss" at the bottom beneath the 6. Usually refinished pieces do not carry the Swiss marking. Black dials are usually the one to look for and are more desirable. Avoid the silly glitzy diamond crusted ones, as they have little resale appeal for most collectors. Also, being a "Seamaster", of course they were intended to be Waterproof. Most of the vintage pieces are no longer so, though, as they have been opened many times for oiling and routine maintenance-seals need to be replaced every so many years. If you Need it to be up to original specs to wear while showering, swimming, saunas, etc, a new set of seals can be installed, but this will not be cheap, as they need to be pressure tested, etc.
    As for the movements, if you are looking for a manual wind, stick with the Swiss 17 jewel Incabloc movement, as they are durable enough for everyday wear and a very reliable mechanism. I avoid the self-winders, as they tend to need more maintenance from their constant motion. Condition-wise, some people are turned off by an inscription on the reverse, such as a retirement dedication, but some are not. Personally, I have no trouble with such things, as they simply add to the authenticity and character. At any rate, for 500 pounds, you should have no trouble picking up a decent Seamaster. The deluxe Gold editions...if you're lucky, maybe one of them also, but they tend to go for over the $1000 US dollar mark. The Omega's are excellent watches- the NASA astronauts used an Omega SpeedMaster Chronograph on their Lunar missions- and were able to depend on and use them to exact measurements. I've had my Seamaster for many years now and it's always been top shelf. Just have it oiled and cleaned every 3-4 years and they'll last a lifetime.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Great info thanks! I think all the watches at this auction will be brand new though so I won't have to worry about re-finished examples.
    Auction starts in a few hours, wish me luck!

Well...? How did you do? Sporting any new 18K Bling, are you?
    William

?

Didn't make it to the auction in the end.

Guys, I don't know if this happens to you but I was all set to catch the train but the girlfriend was still doing her hair and make up. I told her that we have to leave the house right now or we'll miss it, well, all hell broke loose after that because when we got to the station, the train had been cancelled which was my fault apparently, her hair was a mess = my fault apparently, she was stressed out from rushing = my fault apparently, she'd forgotten her sunglasses = my fault apparently. After a solid 20 minutes' ear bashing on the platform waiting for the next train, I decided enough was enough, turned around, went home, got my RC helicopters and went flying instead.

2 hours later, she's all lovey dovey and apologising for being snappy but moaning about how much she'd wanted to go the auction!

Will never understand woman as long as I live.
    Last edited by BenVK; 06-21-2012 at 08:16 PM.

?

Amen to that, Adrian!

I only now saw this thread. Maybe good , that you didnt go to the auction after all; there are massive amounts of faked Seamasters out there. Some of them have even made it into the hands of so called skilled watch afficinados.
    Better to buy from some one you know and trust. If you are still hooked on a Seamaster, PM me and Ill give you a few pointers on what to buy and from whom (there are a few trustworthy watch forums and forum members out there).

"Will never understand woman as long as I live"

And we were never Meant to....
    William