Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ANZAC day 25 April

Article about: You know your history!!!!!!! Breaker morant!!!!!

?

Default ANZAC day 25 April

ANZAC Day is a memorial day remembered mainly in Australia and New Zealand to commemorate the day in 1915 when ANZAC forces landed on th Gallipoli peninsula in Turkey. It is a day of remembrance for all Australians and New Zealanders to recognize the sacrifice of the armed forces of both countries in all wars and peace keeping operations since.

It is a day that starts with a dawn service at about 0545, the Time the forces landed at Gallpoli, and the services later in the day, a march of Veterans in all major cities and small towns, and then get togethers at local pubs and RSL's for. Few drinks, sharing stories and remembering absent friends.

Please remember the fallen of your own countries on this day, no matter where they served , and raise a beer or ten for them

Lest we forget

?

Default Re: ANZAC day 25 April

Well said mate , i've just come back from Oz , if i'd planned things better i could have been there for Anzac day but i know it's a big day also for all the Pom veterans in Australia and my two good mates from my Army days will be at the service in Perth followed by a few small beers !!.

On the 25th i'll be thinking about all the diggers who didn't come back from Gallipoli , Poziers , Villers Bretonneux and the jungles of Burma.

In the UK we do appreciate the sacrifice of the Aussies and New Zealanders standing shoulder to shoulder with us,

best regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Attachment 198551Lest we Forget

I had a wonderful present just before ANZAC day , see my thread.
    Rue-Petillon Military Cemetery Fleurbaix France Help Needed
    Truly Wonderful Stuff !

?

It continues to this day, Aussie gunners are part of British batteries in Afghan, and in 2005 we were part of the first Austrslian unit to serve under British command since the Korean war in Iraq. There is a ANZAC battalion serving in East Timor comprising of Aussie and Kiwi infantry.

?

And the Gallipoli landings stiil come up. In iraq we conducted a joint patrol over a number of days with the Briish 2 Para. After the British commander had given his orders, he asked if there were any questions, first question was from an Aussie...." are you sure you have the right beach this time? " there was no response

?

Quote by qotd View Post
    And the gallipoli landings stiil come up. In iraq we conduvted a joint oatrol ver a number of days with the briish 2 para. After the british commander had guvn his orders, he asked if there were any questions, first question was from an aussie...." are you sure you have th right beach this time? " there was no response
    Lets keep this a memorial thread mate.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Lets keep this a memorial thread mate.
    I was just relating a story that i thought was relevant showing the continuing link between our countries today.

?

It was all in good humour and was posted to relate that the ANZAC spirit sbout having a sense of humour still goes on!!!!! No offence intended

?

Let me explain how we down here remeber ANZAC day.

Normaly it starts at 0430, where we have a gunfire breakfast, condisting of rum and coffee, then we have the dawn service, a time of reflection and remembering mates no longer here, in my case being a younger Veteran i remember mates who have died overseas and in training. You then head down to the local RSL and have a cooked breaky, you have a few beers and at about 0930 there is a march through the local town, where pople line the streets an you head to the local war memorial. A service is held, minutes silence last past and reville. You then head back you the RSL, fav pub or home for lunch, BBQ etc, sit around and drink, with your mates or somone you dont know and you talk, drink and share waries, experiences and get to know people, even if you dont know them, you go up, say gday, buy them a Beer and chat. Or others do the same for you. I have walked ino a pub for a quiet beer by myself wearing my medals and not paid for a drink all day, people want to show their appreciation and often that includes buying you drinks. Or you gather your mates and drink, laugh and cry........its all about mateship, if you see a digger be he WW 2, Vietnam or Iraq, its the day you walk up and say gday, buy each other a beer and chat.......you then go out for dinner somewhere, then go home and crash.

Its a day whete no one is a stranger, anyone with medals is looked after, and a day where you can walk up to someone and say gday. Some people gather in their homes and have BBQ's and talk late into the night, others do it at the pub....

ian
    ?

thow another sheep on the barbie sheeella!
    wonderfull thank god for the Aussies
    salutations and respect for old and new from all us Poms, prisoners of her majesty !!!
    especialy the hunter river lancers
    God bless you all
    cheers ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast