Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Arnold Ridley Dad's Army

Article about: Close OptionsShareSendLike Photos of The History Of Wednesbury As the new Dad’s Army film is about to be released we remember Pte Godfrey, played by Arnold Ridley, who was the only member of

Default Arnold Ridley Dad's Army

12662733_1145596615451346_5696640709863533256_n.jpg

As the new Dad’s Army film is about to be released we remember Pte Godfrey, played by Arnold Ridley, who was the only member of the original cast who had served in both world wars – as well as signing up for the Home Guard.
    Arnold endured horrific hand to hand combat in the trenches at the Somme in 1916. A bayonet through his left hand rendered him unable to use his fingers. He also suffered blackouts after being hit on the back of the head with a German rifle butt.
    Arnold first volunteered for the Army in 1914. But the 18-year-old was rejected as he had broken a toe playing rugby. After reapplying a year later, he was accepted to the Somerset Light Infantry. He was posted to France and within days of arriving was hit by shrapnel and shot through the thigh.
    He returned to the front from convalescence only to be sent over the top twice during the Battle of the Somme in 1916. The first time, was at Delville Wood, where many of his comrades fell. And during a second attack, at Gueudecourt, now as a Lance Corporal, Arnold’s battalion took even more devastating losses from machine gun fire.
    When the survivors reached the German trenches they pushed back the enemy troops with bayonets and bombs, before Arnold was knocked to the ground by a rifle blow to the head. A German soldier lunged with a bayonet, but Arnold survived by deflecting the blade into his groin instead of his stomach. The next blow pierced his left hand and wrist. Arnold came round in a field hospital. It took 15 ops to save his hand and he was invalided back home.
    Arnold volunteered for the Intelligence Corps in the Second World War, making films in France. After being discharged on medical grounds, he joined the Home Guard, before touring bases, entertaining the troops. While he described the First World War in detail in his unpublished autobiography, Arnold could not write about the Second World War. He said: “To recount events, I would have to relive them. I am too afraid.” He suffered horrific nightmares and regularly woke drenched in sweat. He was terrified he would black out on stage but was such a brave man and kept acting when he could.

Gunny, I have to commend you for this post, what a superb piece of historical research.

I will be in the Somme region this year on July 1st

Cheers

?

Thanks Gunny,
    I just watched the new release trailer and I just had to watch the original version. Looks like it was a Quite Funny series!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Thanks Gunny,
    I just watched the new release trailer and I just had to watch the original version. Looks like it was a Quite Funny series!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Great thread Gunny, I always loved the episode when Godfrey was being shunned by the whole platoon as a WW1 conscientious objector, but who turned out to be MM winner with the medical corps. Not to dissimilar to his real life bravery! He played the part so well, and as the rest of the cast would have known his past so well, it must have been quite difficult to "lay into him" on those grounds.
    Phil, I highly recommend that you watch the original series, it is a British comedy classic. Leon.

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Phil, I highly recommend that you watch the original series, it is a British comedy classic. Leon.
    I did Leon, on Utube.That is what I was referring to when I typed"I just had to watch the original version"

It reminded me of our own Hogan's Hero's. I wish this would have been one of those classics that was on our TV while I was growing up watching HH. McHales Navy, Gomer Pile USMC, Which were some of my favorite comedies of my youth.

Semper Fi
    Phil

For those who haven't seen it, it's also quite accurate in much of its portrayal of the Home Guard-scrounging up equipment and uniforms. the sorts of tasks they did, old soldiers and young lads in the same units, the shortages and privations of every day life in Britain during the war and even the black market stuff!

Phil-the US shows you mentioned were staples of TV here in the 60s and 70s as well-some are still being aired now, as there're many more channels to fill 24/7 these days!

I did Leon, on Utube.That is what I was referring to when I typed"I just had to watch the original version"

It reminded me of our own Hogan's Hero's. I wish this would have been one of those classics that was on our TV while I was growing up watching HH. McHales Navy, Gomer Pile USMC, Which were some of my favorite comedies of my youth.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Ah! I see Phil, I thought you meant that you had watched the original 1970's Dad's Army movie. That's not a bad film, but not as good as the series!!

Many thanks for the thread paul ive learned a lot on the man might go and see the new film tonight ,im just wondering if we will see swastika's in the opening scenes like the original series

Semper Fi
    Phil
    I don't know if you know, but there was an attempt to export Dad's Army to the US. They tried to remake the classic episode where the platoon is put in charge of a captured U- Boat crew, but it failed spectacularly. The Dad's Army creators were flown over to the States and picked up in a limo, but had to return in a taxi apparently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast