Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Artic convoy medal(AT LAST!!)

Article about: by FALLSCHIRMJAGER I think the vets families will also receive it from what the report said. Leon. Any idea how you would go about getting the medal? my granddad was on the arctic convoys bu

Default Artic convoy medal(AT LAST!!)

I just saw on the BBC news that the seamen of ARTIC CONVOY'S in WW2 are at last to be recognised by the Ministry of Defence,and receive a medal.It takes the form of all the other campaign stars from WW2,what a long and un-neccesary wait this has been!! EDIT!! Here's the approved design,also as quite rightly pointed out Bomber Command vets will also receive a campaign star!!! Leon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Artic convoy medal(AT LAST!!)

Bomber Command Vets and Families will also be dont forget

Yes,quite right!! Just such a disgrace that most of the brave chaps involved in these campaign's have passed away whilst waiting for Home Office pen pushers to pull their fingers out. Leon.

Yes I have just saw the BBC news report myself, they did not show the bomber command medal for some reason, not sure why

Am I right in thinking the Acrtic Convoy Vets did indeed receive medals from the Soviet's ??

?

Will the medal be available to the vets families .. or just survivors ?

Gary J.

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Yes I have just saw the BBC news report myself, they did not show the bomber command medal for some reason, not sure why

Am I right in thinking the Acrtic Convoy Vets did indeed receive medals from the Soviet's ??
    I think you are right,the soviet's understood the importance of the Royal Navys role in keeping supplies flowing into northern Russia,even if our goverment did'nt! P.S, i just added a picture of the award to the top. Leon.

?

Yes, this is a very interesting one. So far all I have seen is this coloured artists impression, not a real photo, but apparently it will indeed have the Kings Crown as it relates to a period when he reigned, not the Queens Crown which would normally be the case as a medal usually features the Crown of the Monarch under whom it was instituted. Apparently a departure from the norm.

It will go to next of kin as well as actual survivors.

Wonder how long before copies start to appear on EBay
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote by Gary J View Post
    Will the medal be available to the vets families .. or just survivors ?

Gary J.
    I think the vets families will also receive it from what the report said. Leon.

?

Excellent !
    I have two friends who both had fathers on the convoys ... and have expressed sentiment to "complete" their father's medal groups.

Cheers

Gary J.

?

The lack of a medal for the Artic Convoy and Bomber Command vets has always been a sad indictment of a number of Governments and and in particular generations of MOD Shiny arse , Remf pen pushers !!

At last they have official recognition.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast