Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Autumn Mist

Article about: Took this shot earlier this morning... Reminded me of a certain operation that began a long time ago. So, I thought that I would pose the question. What if Hitler didn't go with Unternehmen

?

Default Autumn Mist

Took this shot earlier this morning...

Reminded me of a certain operation that began a long time ago. So, I thought that I would pose the question. What if Hitler didn't go with Unternehmen Herbstnebel and decided to concentrate on the German defence instead? How much longer do you think the war could have been protracted? Obviously, the Russian advance was picking up speed with every passing day, but could the war have dragged on even longer...?

Regards,

Carl
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Autumn Mist

maybe a maxium of a week mainly because the amount of men and munitions left was minimum there was the bombing day and night by the americans and british most of the troops were volksturm/hitler youth and SS (who were killing more of there own men than the enemy).

good picture quite captivating

?

Thanks Tom! The list of problems that the Germans faced at that time is seemingly endless, some of which you have correctly pointed out. After reading some quite good debate over on another forum, I thought that I'd ask for opinions on here...always interesting to know how people feel and think.

Regards,

Carl

Its a good question Carl and one which has been deliberated by historians for decades !

Even if Autumn mist had been successful I cant see what good capturing Antewerp would have done for the Germans.

A defensive stand would have prolonged the war for a few months maybe but the overwhelming might of the Allies from both sides would have made it a grisly last stand for both soldiers and civilians.

Maybe after Stalingrad they should have all raced back to Germany then and made their stand !The odds would have been more favourable

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem