Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Battle of Berlin

Article about: I wonder where that Soviet flag currently is. It makes me so sad, that there are so few available on the market .

Default Battle of Berlin

Rare Battle For Berlin Footage - YouTube
    A lot of the film on this clip is not Berlin just edited together crap, but one piece of film i've never seen before is at about 35 seconds, Soviet infantry crossing in front of artillery and one guy hopefully just getting blown of his feet!..
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

?

Thanks Gunny,
    I agree there were clips from other battles in time that were put together for this film.BUT there were some very good color shots in Berlin.
    I did get a kick out of that clip at 35 seconds. It was almost Three Stooges style comedy.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Thanks Gunny,
    I agree there were clips from other battles in time that were put together for this film.BUT there were some very good color shots in Berlin.
    I did get a kick out of that clip at 35 seconds. It was almost Three Stooges style comedy.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    If he survived i bet his ears were ringing!...
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I know who'd be getting shot next, had that been me getting bowled over by that cannon's firing. What a twit that gunner was, the crew clearly saw that group passing in front of their gun and still fired so soon after they had passed (but still within the weapon's danger/blast zone). If I didn't shoot him I'd have at least chased him around a bit (insert Benny Hill's theme song here). Should place that footage next to the scene where the Stalin's organ fires and hits one of the buildings in the same street they are firing from. Thanks for the link, Gunny.

Regards,

Lance

needless to say gunny i think hes doing like joe dirt said "i'm seein all tweet tweet :P

OH&S-Never a huge concern in WW2 and particularly with the Soviets-see 'Enemy At The Gates' as a John Cleese type training video.

?

Great footage.
    Some segments I hadnt seen before and/or found especially noteworthy; the clear shot of the tanker goggles, the Panzerfaust tube discarded without a second look (someone will come along and clean that up), the men walking with their anti-armour rifles, the callousness and/or sheer indifference of the cannon crew firing while their comrades are still scrambling to get out of the way of the line of fire (Python-esque except for the shock to his nervous system, the permanently impaired hearing and tinnitus) and short clip of a bloke clad in a camo smock.

I cant help but thinking, how alien it must have been for both parties to fight in the rubbles and utter devastation of what was once a thrieving metropolis (insert city name here - Stalingrad, Berlin et al).

Quote by lithgow View Post
    OH&S-Never a huge concern in WW2 and particularly with the Soviets-see 'Enemy At The Gates' as a John Cleese type training video.
    Agreed. Safety was never a big concern. Some horrible examples of that in the heat of war.

The Soviet footage is Berlin on the whole.

One of the very best DVD's I have is:

SPIEGEL TV Sturm auf Berlin Das Ende der Hauptstadt - DVD Berlin 1945

Highly recommended. All original footage. For 15 Euros you cannot go wrong. In German.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

A very good clip of film. As for the soldiers being too close to the artillery piece when it was fired, such things happened all the time in battle. No health and safety in those days!
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The Soviet footage is Berlin on the whole.

One of the very best DVD's I have is:

SPIEGEL TV Sturm auf Berlin Das Ende der Hauptstadt - DVD Berlin 1945

Highly recommended. All original footage. For 15 Euros you cannot go wrong. In German.

Cheers, Ade.
    Agreed Ade it's a great DVD, i bought it in Berlin about a year ago along with an other called "Mit der kamera an der ostfront" both brilliant!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast