Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Best Item You Ever Missed Out On Buying

Article about: I hope this hasn't been done before, but I was inspired to start this thread today. There are threads on our best helmets, daggers, EKI's, EKII's, tunics, weapons, etc. How about a thread on

?

Default Re: Best Item You Ever Missed Out On Buying

When I was a young kid, my grandfather, who was a master choreographer at the national theater took me backstage to look around. The propmaster offered me a machinegun-belt from an MG42, around 1.5 meters long and full of inert rounds. They had used it as a prop in a previous show and no longer needed it. My grandfather said bullets weren't something appropriate for an 8 year old, so I politely refused.

I've heard stories from a much older friend of mine, about how when they were kids (in the 60's) digging around in fields and finding a panzerfaust or an MP40 was common, and everyone was throwing away german helmets like they were the plague. At one point he had around 100 of em in a pile that was thrown away.

Nitram

Great items and stories. Lets keep this one going....

?

DE banner, complete. Still kicking myself over that one...

I was offered a US 5th Special Forces presentation dagger. I saw
    the "Japan Sword" marking on it and thought it was a fake British
    Commando knife. I can't believe I was that dumb
    I've been looking for one ever since.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

A deact old spec MP40 in a local surplus/junk type shop in about 1993/94. It was complete except for the mag (I had one of them anyhow) and the finish had that well used look about it (which ain't no bad thing), I can't remember the price (200 rings a bell though). I'd just recently bought something else (an deact MG34) and whilst I had the money I tended to restrict myself to not spending too much in the same month so I didn't go with my gut reaction to just buy it and so walked up into the town centre whilst mulling it over. After a little bit of thought I decided sod the money I was going to get it, however due to the time I had to get back to work (I was on my dinner break) and so left it until the next day to go and get it. Alas by the time I went back next day on my dinner break it had gone...I was gutted and could of kicked myself. I never did get around to getting an MP40 and definitely won't now 'cos of the prices!
    Did get an old spec MP44 in 1996 for less than 300 though which dulls the pain a little bit!

The other thing I also kick myself over is a 20mm mag for the Flak 38 (yeah something as stupid as that!). I was going to buy one at a local show, many many moons ago (before the MP40 'incident'), had it in me hand, was just about the hand over the money when I changed my mind and bought a gas mask and cannister instead (didn't have the money for both at the time), figured I'd soon pick a mag up another time (since there must of been millions and millions of 'em... ) and bugger me if I've still never managed to find another! Seen the odd one but it's either been sold, or it's been in a set of two with the box (too expensive for me) or a well knacked relic. One of them simple things that should be easy to find but for some reason they're all hiding from me (any one in the uk got a nice cheap one for me!).

I got a new item I just missed by hours. A Knights Cross, with ribbon, cased. Enough said.

It makes me sad and angry just thinking about it, so I will refer you gentlemen to this thread for my answer:

Worst timing ever.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    It makes me sad and angry just thinking about it, so I will refer you gentlemen to this thread for my answer:

Worst timing ever.
    Eeeeek! Makes your heart sink, FAST! If people only knew what they had.....or cared what they had

an ebay auction for a No7 mk1/L with black plastic scales, I put in my bid and clicked confirm, then it made me log in, stupid 24 hour log in, so by the time I got back it was ended, but less than a week later it was relisted because the winning bidder wouldn't pay. I got it the second time around though

?

Mich that looks like a good project, how long do you think before you will be whizzing around in it?? You should open a new thread for it !! I would love to see it being restored slowly but surely.. Cheers Terry.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast