Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Best Item You Ever Missed Out On Buying

Article about: I hope this hasn't been done before, but I was inspired to start this thread today. There are threads on our best helmets, daggers, EKI's, EKII's, tunics, weapons, etc. How about a thread on

Default Best Item You Ever Missed Out On Buying

I hope this hasn't been done before, but I was inspired to start this thread today. There are threads on our best helmets, daggers, EKI's, EKII's, tunics, weapons, etc. How about a thread on the BEST item you ever missed out on? Obviously, pictures would probably be hard to come by, since you missed out on the item. But I think it would be interesting just to hear everyones stories about the best item you almost bought but someone beat you to it. I'll start.

Today, by 30 seconds, I missed out on a WWI German M16 Camo helmet, with original leather liner band, all three leather pads with pillows, drawstring and complete chinstrap. The owner sold it to a dealer for about $200 I think it was, along with a M1917 "Dough Boy" helmet. I walked up 30 seconds too late. Talk about frustration. I was livid I missed out on that. Apparently, the owner did not understand why I was looking at him with "bug eyes." That one's going to hurt for a while.

What's the BEST item you ever missed out on? (and I send my sympathies)

Default Re: Best Item You Ever Missed Out On Buying

An RK in 1990 for £850. No great story just lack of funds (story of my life!)

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I forgot them all!
    Best thing to do in my opinion!
    ;-)
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

In the late 70's when I was a mere youth, there was a little shop in Wolverhampton called 'Collectors Paradise'. It sold all sorts of antiques, but there was a heavy lean towards millitaria. Helmets hung from the ceiling like strings of onions, British, German and American, medals, EK's the lot! I bought my first ever item of millitaria there, a British spike bayonet for a quid.

Anyway, one Saturday I walked in to behold the holy grail for a 13 year old lad, a crossbow! Not any crossbow though, this was an OSS/SOE 'Big Joe' crossbow, designed for taking out sentries and guard dogs silently and as rare as hen's teeth!

The only thing that appeared wrong with it was that the prod (bowstring) was missing. The shop owner let me handle the 'bow as he told me what he knew about it, I was fascinated! I wanted that crossbow more than anything in the world, but there was a problem, I was A.) Too young to buy it. B.) My dad would never have let me have it. And C.) At nearly £350, if I recall, was a bit too much of an ask for a kid who earned only 30 bob (£1.50) a week pocket money....

Suffice to say, the next week I popped back in to the shop whilst my parents were shopping, to have a look around as per usual, and the 'Big Joe' had gone....I wonder what one of those is worth these days!!

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

20 years ago I came 1 day to late for a Bren Carrier for Free,dam.
    But 2 years ago I was luckey to buy it back from the guy that picked it up before me.
    sow now I sleep well agian
    regards mich

A deadly looking weapon for sure!

At least you got to handle it Ned

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Most things I missed out on where things I didint want untill they were gone. Like some moth eaten caps and some cheap 1914 ekII's.

Cheers, Pat

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    An RK in 1990 for £850. No great story just lack of funds (story of my life!)

Cheers, Ade.
    I think we can all relate to that (the lack of funds, that is)! Still hurts after all these years, eh? lol

A lovely Camo Kriegsmarine helmet offered to me a cpl years ago. I did not really know what it was, and at the time I could not afford such a thing
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

?

here is a photo of my baby I missed 20 years ago,but got it 2 years ago tanks 1.jpg

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast