Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bit of a dilema?!

Article about: Guys, I have recently come into possesion of a WW2 German Grave Stone. Background: German pal says he has access to said item and that it is to be detroyed/removed. I could not say no but wh

Default Bit of a dilema?!

Guys,

I have recently come into possesion of a WW2 German Grave Stone.

Background:

German pal says he has access to said item and that it is to be detroyed/removed.

I could not say no but what to do with such an item, it can not be used as a grave marker in its current state and I understand if buried privately by the family normal rules apply in Germany and that is if left untended or not re-rented the plot is 'recyled'. Would the German graves commision re-enstate his grave in a private cemetary or is this not done?

My guess is the soldier died early as indicated by the date and the family have shipped him back home privately and hand him buried localy but that in so doing have now condemed him to anonimity?

Any ideas?

Jock
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Bit of a dilema?!

Quote by jock auld View Post
    Guys,

I have recently come into possesion of a WW2 German Grave Stone.

Background:

German pal says he has access to said item and that it is to be detroyed/removed.

I could not say no but what to do with such an item, it can not be used as a grave marker in its current state and I understand if buried privately by the family normal rules apply in Germany and that is if left untended or not re-rented the plot is 'recyled'. Would the German graves commision re-enstate his grave in a private cemetary or is this not done?

My guess is the soldier died early as indicated by the date and the family have shipped him back home privately and hand him buried localy but that in so doing have now condemed him to anonimity?

Any ideas?

Jock
    wow, but do you know where they took him, I mean I am not being a ghoul, but why do they want it destroyed, that is what I don't understand. I really dont know what to say about it?

I know which grave yard not which plot. In germany the Swastika is still forbidden. i don't know when it was removed or even if it has been replaced with a politicaly accceptable version. I will have to do this and I will in due course, I am open to suggestions?

Jock

I know which grave yard not which plot. In germany the Swastika is still forbidden. i don't know when it was removed or even if it has been replaced with a politicaly accceptable version. I will have to do this and I will in due course, I am open to suggestions?

Jock
    man, I really don't know what to tell you, as far as the swastika, it's been over 70 years. that law needs to be gotten rid of , it happened & is a part of history, they need to let that go, hey I put a confedrate battle flag on my porch all the time, my family did not own slaves & I detest slavery, or even the Idea of it. but I just really don't have a clue what to tell you. they are taking away the reason he died. he died fighting in a terrible war, but he was fighting for his country. really I'm lost on this one it would be a shame to destroy the mans history. good luck.

This is terrible.. why did they have to do this? Is the soldiers name there, and if so, have you attempted to do some reasearch on him?

All the details are there and I will research him. I have just got the stone its a two man lift, one thing at a time. What I need to know, preferably from a German is, is he entitled to a place marker from the Government or was that lost when he was privately buried?

Jock

All the details are there and I will research him. I have just got the stone its a two man lift, one thing at a time. What I need to know, preferably from a German is, is he entitled to a place marker from the Government or was that lost when he was privately buried?

Jock
    I know this has nothing to do with your reply, but my eyes are bad, what year did he die? I can't see it.

Quote by crazy horse View Post
    I know this has nothing to do with your reply, but my eyes are bad, what year did he die? I can't see it.
    Otto Westedt Born: 12/2/15 Died: 5/4/40

Jock

Otto Westedt Born: 12/2/15 Died: 5/4/40

Jock
    man, so young, well salute to you Otto. R.I.P.

Hi rich,
    Im sure the german government have a war graves commission as we do, as they still bury soldiers found in battlefields and sent home. Perhaps you could find out from a local government office some info about this, they cant just forget a soldier no matter what army he fought for and after all he fought for there country.
    Dave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast