Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Black Lamp Test - what does it really mean?

Article about: Hi, Have recently come accross the "Black Lamp" test on old materials and fabrics, sellers claim this means it pre dates 1945. Firstly, why 1945 and does this really mean anything,

Default Black Lamp Test - what does it really mean?

Hi, Have recently come accross the "Black Lamp" test on old materials and fabrics, sellers claim this means it pre dates 1945.

Firstly, why 1945 and does this really mean anything, does it really mean the item is indeed genuine?

Over to the experts, I am sure others have the same type of questions about the black lamp theory, I for one would be interested in any good reliable tests that can be carried out on old fabric.

?

Default Re: Black Lamp Test - what does it really mean?

The black light test helps date items but is by no means a fail safe way to authenticate a ribbon, cloth or paper. If an item glows or fibres with the item glow it's thought to be a modern material. If there is no glow under the light then the piece is thought to be older material.
    Again, not the only way to determine the age or authenticity if an item and this method should not be used as the be all and end all.
    For example, as an experiment a few years ago I took an original EK2 ribbon which didn't glow. I placed it between the folds of a newly washed towel and ironed it. After this, there was a faint glow from the ribbon! Modern fabric cleaners and other such things can cause an item to glow under blacklight. I haven't used one for a very long time as it really doesn't prove anything one way or the other. You can get modern materials that don't glow and have older materials that do! I don't subscibe to the theory anymore as there are just so many variables.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

The cat's urina and old items washed with modern washing powders will glow too.
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

I bought something that someone used old thread to repair...........it passed the test although the repair, once found, was terrible!!

Pieces that glow could have been washed in the period of the 40's. The soaps of that era had phosphates which will make them glow!!This crap that a piece of cloth that glow is not the final say and i can back that up with facts.Get a back copy form from "THE MILITARY ADVISOR" a publication that is still printed.Send to The Military Advisor,PO BOX23456,SAN JOSE ,CA.95153.Ask for Fall issue of 1992 which contains the black light article.Each copy is $5.00 and worth many times that.Their are five pages of great reading which will dispell this wives tail of the black light!!!They also have an article on the SS eagles in another issue which can save you many $.Goodbuys

Agree with Adrian and others, the blacklight test is largely a waste of time and money as anything old that has been washed postwar will probably glow and also some old fabrics will glow and some modern fabrics will not. It is better to look at all the other factors used to decide originality IMO, such as materials used, construction methods, size etc. and always try to compare with known originals.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.