Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bletchley Park carrier pigeon found dead 70 years after it disappeard with coded message.....

Article about: I seem to remember carrier pigeons and their field use forming the basis of an episode of 'Combat'-no higher compliment.

Default Re: Bletchley Park carrier pigeon found dead 70 years after it disappeard with coded message.....

Better late than never.

Default Re: Bletchley Park carrier pigeon found dead 70 years after it disappeard with coded message.....

I read somewhere that the red capsules were strictly for the use of SOE or as they were known in France just pre Normandy invasion, 'Jedburghs'. In which case that would be sneaky-beaky MI6 traffic only.

MI6 were keen users of the 'One time pad' system of coding, which this message seems it could be encrypted in. Therefore it is entirely possible that it will never be de-coded. See the link for details on how it works ( It's pretty dry stuff actually...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-time_pad

Unless of course it was sent in duplicate via another pigeon, in which case it may be on file........somewhere!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Default Remains of WWII Carrier Pigeon found with CODED MESSAGE!

It seems as if the remains of a WWII carrier pigeon, WITH coded message has been found in the chimney of a home in southern England. Experts presume that the message was sent either immediately before or after the D-Day landings. The message is being decoded now using WWII era logbooks from Bletchley Park...

I can't wait to hear about the decoded message!

http://news.yahoo.com/remains-pigeon...164100916.html

?

Default Re: Remains of WWII Carrier Pigeon found with CODED MESSAGE!

Very cool Joe, thanks for sharing!

Regards,
    John

?

Thanks for posting this Joe, I look forward to hearing what was in the message.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. I love the some of the comments below the article, a great example of how history can still excite us all, even seventy plus years after the event.

?

cant wait to see what the message could be

?

I've merged the two threads together.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Great article. It will indeed be interesting to know what
    was in the coded message.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Very interesting story.

Fascinating about the code, I hope they crack it. Quite the enigma (sorry!LOL).

Quote by big ned View Post
    So this is what really happened to 'Speckled Jim'...... I knew Captain Blackadder was innocent!!
    Great segment.
    The epitome of the Blackadder series IMO.

------

Also found this one hilarious (tuft of grass and dirt on a situation table):
    "This is the ground we gained today"
    "So, what is the scale?"
    "No, this is the actual ground we gained today!"

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I've merged the two threads together.
    D'oh! Sorry, Adrian!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast