MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Bloody Students

Article about: Cambridge University Students Union row over Remembrance Day motion | Daily Mail Online Has Stella Swain never heard the phrase? "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Their To

?

I dont really care these folks are wasting their lives focusing on such things. Less competition for me for getting a job after uni.

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    I dont really care these folks are wasting their lives focusing on such things. Less competition for me for getting a job after uni.
    Great attitude mate, well said.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    I stack shelves at the local supermarket, and luckily have not run into any of these cretins in my own life thus far. In fact, I don't believe I've ever encountered the lesser spotted snowflake anywhere other than in the hallowed halls of the internet.

It is something I have espoused for a long time: Ours is the first generation that has not had to work hard for what it has. We have had everything handed to us on a silver platter, and have no idea what it is to truly appreciate the value of something we have worked for. The two War Generations - and the generations that followed - have built this world for us, with their own blood, toil, tears and sweat (as Churchill would have put it). And as a result of being brought up in a world where everything we desire is handed to us, where our every whim is catered to, where every historical issue has been solved or at least improved, we have no appreciation for the trials and tribulations that have brought our society to this point.

There are no real issues, so we invent non-issues and cry about them from the rooftops as if they are matters of genuine concern. A kind of narcissistic show of earning our place, where in reality we are doing little more than crying, yelling, and stamping our feet.

I will make one caveat. These behaviours have not appeared out of thin air. Someone, somewhere, is responsible for sowing the idea that has taken root in the minds of so many people in my age bracket. Whether those roots originate from decades ago or from only a few short years prior, I cannot say. But taking things this far, to the point of militant student unions behaving like ideological brownshirts, shouting down everything that does not fit their mindset... That is mostly our fault, and partly the fault of the circumstances of our upbringing. We haven't struggled. And now, out of frustration, we're inventing things to struggle for, which really do not warrant the expenditure of energy to do so in the first place.

Or, in short: 'God, this generation really does like to whinge, doesn't it?'

B.B.
    Hi Brodie, i hope you didn't find my comment about shelf stacking insulting, my daughter works at Lidl and it's a good honest job.
    As for your comment about "shouting down everything that does not fit their mindset", these people really can't help them selves, they have to moan and pass comment. Recently i was in a local pub which caters for bikers, rock music fans etc, i was sat having a beer minding my own business and happened to be wearing my leather bike jacket, a young bloke in his early 20s asked me why i was wearing leather because being a vegan he objected to it, imagine his surprise when i told him to f*ck off and get a life, he really did look shocked and was at a loss for words, i reckon he was expecting an in depth debate on the matter.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Hi Brodie, i hope you didn't find my comment about shelf stacking insulting, my daughter works at Lidl and it's a good honest job.
    As for your comment about "shouting down everything that does not fit their mindset", these people really can't help them selves, they have to moan and pass comment. Recently i was in a local pub which caters for bikers, rock music fans etc, i was sat having a beer minding my own business and happened to be wearing my leather bike jacket, a young bloke in his early 20s asked me why i was wearing leather because being a vegan he objected to it, imagine his surprise when i told him to f*ck off and get a life, he really did look shocked and was at a loss for words, i reckon he was expecting an in depth debate on the matter.
    I did not find your comment about shelf stacking insulting at all. Any job that involves honest manual labour is a good one, in my humble opinion. Working for money is not something that anyone should ever be ashamed of, no matter how lowly the task may be.

Things would be better off in general if everyone just left everyone else alone. In the times we now live in, it seems that everyone has an opinion, and they all want theirs to be heard. People seem to go out of their way to confront others, where a simple nod of disagreement and moving on would suffice.

That is why I believe there will never be world peace. Human beings are simply too confrontational. We can never just let it slide.

B.B.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    imagine his surprise when i told him to f*ck off and get a life, he really did look shocked.
    Fantastic Paul! We had a bunch of clowns here in Perth just last weekend that decided to go into a restaurant full of people and start protesting about people eating meat! Apparently the restaurant patrons were quite bemused by the whole episode and very quickly staff threw them out onto the street. I listen to talkback radio and I don't recall one caller supporting these dickheads, even a couple of vegetarians called in to rubbish these morons which is comforting to hear. I have nothing against vegan, vegetarians etc... But I don't tell them how to live their life so would take very unkindly to any of them telling me how to live mine. Sorry to hijack the thread gents, Student Unions, I thought for any kind of union to have power they had to have the ability to withhold a service of some kind, I'm really not too concerned about what some leftie radical doing a degree on flower arranging or something is upset about. It's poppies on Armistice Day for me.

CBH
    ?

This sums it up about right.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7