MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Boer war 1895 British MKIV water canteen, 1st Volunteer battalion Welsh Regiment

Article about: I don't think we have a section for British items from this period so I thought I would post it here and if a moderator can think of somewhere more appropriate for it they can please move it

Default Boer war 1895 British MKIV water canteen, 1st Volunteer battalion Welsh Regiment

I don't think we have a section for British items from this period so I thought I would post it here and if a moderator can think of somewhere more appropriate for it they can please move it.

It is a 1895 MKIV water canteen and though it is missing the cloth cover and the chain to hold the cork in place, I think it is in very good condition as it's nearly 120 years old.

I bought it in Carmarthenshire today and it appears to be stamped on the strap to, ICo. 1st VBWR 665, which I think means 1st Company 1st Volunteer Battalion Welsh Regiment 665 and as this area was the heartland of recruiting for this regiment I think I am probably correct.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: Boer war 1895 British MKIV water canteen, 1st Volunteer battalion Welsh Regiment

the system has done that strange thing with some of the pics again, the most important ones as well doh.

Reposted a montage of the strap markings
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Jerry

Default Re: Boer war 1895 British MKIV water canteen, 1st Volunteer battalion Welsh Regiment

A very nice example Jerry A shame about the missing cover, but it might be possible to make a god reproduction cover, they were just a tight fitted khaki felt. Very nice that is has the original and correct strap too

The markings are not quite what you thought though. The first part means I Company (as in I for India). Most of the Volunteer Battalions had multiple companies in different towns, and whereas a Regular Army battalion had four companies (A to D), it was not unusual for a VB to have ten or more.

I am not 100% convinced about the Welsh Regt identification, although you definitely bought it in 1st VB Welsh territory. The abbreviation WR was more commonly associated with the Worcestershire Regiment (the Welsh Regt being usually WEL). Its very hard to be sure though, and the 1st Volunteer Bn of both regiments had more than nine companies, so we can't eliminate thay way either. One thing in favour of the Welsh identification is that 1st VB Worcs R wore green uniforms (so may have used black leather equipment), whereas 1st VB Welsh R definitely wore scarlet.

In case you don't have the info: 1st (Pembrokeshire) Volunteer Battalion, Welsh Regt were based at Haverfordwest, with their companies in Milford, Haverfordwest, Pembroke, Cardigan, Llandeilo, Carmarthen and Llanelly.

Rob

A wonderful and interesting piece in great condition! A nice find. Was it an antique shop or flea market find?

Thanks Rob for the info and you might be right about the markings not being for the Welsh Regiment, as I was probably making assumptions, though I bought it in Carmarthen, which as you said was one of their bases.

The I or 1 company did make me scratch my head and I company makes more sense than 1 company and was something I had considered and had posted on another forum.

Hi Glenn, it was bought in an antiques center and was sensibly priced IMO.

I think you can buy repro covers, but I'll probably leave it as is.
    Regards,

Jerry