Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Books!

Article about: My birthday is coming up pretty soon and I want to get myself a few books (up to 10 books) My main intresst is sniping/snipers. I allready own "Sniper on the eastern front" by Sepp

Default Books!

My birthday is coming up pretty soon and I want to get myself a few books (up to 10 books)
    My main intresst is sniping/snipers. I allready own "Sniper on the eastern front" by Sepp Allerberger.
    I want to buy a book about "Lyudmila Pavlichenko", I have been searching.. but no luck.

I need help guys, if you would recommend any books (don't need to be about sharpshooters, but has to be ww2!)

I appreciate the help

Default Re: Books!

Hi Normadie

I enjoyed this one

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

This is a good one! Hans Von Luck- Panzer Commander.

Luke

hans.jpg

Ay! Thx Nick! I've been looking on that one though... maybe I judge it by the cover :P
    Luke, sorry I'm not much of a tanker though, I might take a look at it!

This is the 'Holy Grail' of Russian Front memoirs imo (if you haven't already read it of course

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

That I have not seen, I've heard they are going to make a movie about it?
    Hope they make one with Josef (Sepp) Allerberger also... sad why there are no movies about german/SS soldiers during the war except maybe Stalingrad and Das Booooot

Quote by Normandie View Post
    That I have not seen, I've heard they are going to make a movie about it?
    Hope they make one with Josef (Sepp) Allerberger also... sad why there are no movies about german/SS soldiers during the war except maybe Stalingrad and Das Booooot
    ...and 'Cross of Iron' of course

Nick

?

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    ...and 'Cross of Iron' of course

Nick
    The real Ost Front classic !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Normandie View Post
    sad why there are no movies about german/SS soldiers during the war except maybe Stalingrad and Das Booooot
    Because the main market for movies is the US and large parts of the country would not go and see it and also there would be so many complaints about it that no company will make one, maybe in a hundred years time they might, but not yet, and the same applies to most of the rest of the world IMHO

Both Stalingrad and Das Boot had strong anti Nazi messages, as did Cross of Iron and that is the only sort of movie that might get made and the same applies for any movie version of the Forgotten Soldier, which was also anti Nazi. If you want to see a gung ho death & glory movie about the SS, you will have to wait a very long time and it will probably be your children or grandchildren that might get to see it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

People have criticized it, but I would recommend "The Black March" by Peter Neumann. Not a sniper book, but an excellent one on the Wiking Division.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast