Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

The Brits Who Fought For Hitler

Article about: John amery was executed in 1946 for his participation in the British freikorps

Default Re: The Brits Who Fought For Hitler

As far as I am aware the only known possible example of a original BFC tunic was held within a school in New Zealand some years ago and eventually disappeared. I do not know the full story however there are members of this forum who will undoubtebly fill in with the details.

The existence of the bfc has been common knowledge in the uk for many years amongst those who have an interest in the subject. many articles have been written. The fact is the BFC were never numerous i don't think the number ever exceeded 30 members and they were more of propaganda use. There is quite some controversy as to whether or not any members actually saw combat.

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    I guess one would have to compare the original typescript manuscript against the published final book to see what additional input the two editors had during the preparation of the final manuscript for publication. Most typescripts by non-professional authors are almost unfit for publication and often require complete rewrites, to fill-in the missing gaps, for continuity and overall structure etc. It requires a great deal of editorial skill and fact-checking research to get these books fit for publication and often if the books are published decades after the original manuscript was written "later knowledge" and embellishments can inadvertently creep into the book. Which is why I prefer unpolished contemporaneously published memoirs...warts-and-all
    Who can say what was edited before publication. Certainly the basic facts of the story appear to have been true, as it contained documents and photographs which appeared to have been genuine.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Something that may be of interest fellas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

JMM
    ?

Very interesting thread. Thanks

British Free Corps.jpg
    Bfc cl.jpg
    BFC.jpg

?

Here are some propaganda posters about the British free corps.

There was also an episode of foyle's war called The Hide about the British free corps, the soldier it revolves around also played Pvt Hall in the second episode of band of brothers. I case anyone is interested
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

Quote by robin morley View Post
    As far as I am aware the only known possible example of a original BFC tunic was held within a school in New Zealand some years ago and eventually disappeared. I do not know the full story however there are members of this forum who will undoubtebly fill in with the details.

The existence of the bfc has been common knowledge in the uk for many years amongst those who have an interest in the subject. many articles have been written. The fact is the BFC were never numerous i don't think the number ever exceeded 30 members and they were more of propaganda use. There is quite some controversy as to whether or not any members actually saw combat.
    As has been pointed out by both Robin and Adrian this subject is well known and has been discussed before many times on this and other forums , books , documemtaries etc etc including the motivations of the 30 or so men that joined , an interesting subject but nothing new.

A Zug sized unit was deployed to SS Panzer Aufklarungs Abt 11 on the Ostfront in early 1945 , they were considered useless by Saalbach the Commander and sent packing to the rear !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

CBH
    ?

In Chris Bishop's book "Hitler's Foreign Divisions" it states " Eventually , 58 volunteers were accepted as genuine (including three Canadians , three Australians , three South Africans and one New Zealander ) " he also states that a handful are believed to have fought with Nordland in the battle of Berlin .

?

The information about them fighting in Berlin is complete rubbish and an example of poor research !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

CBH
    ?

Well maybe fighting to get out of Berlin .

?

Quote by CBH View Post
    Well maybe fighting to get out of Berlin .
    There is no absolute proof the Freikorps fought in Berlin. This is only hearsay based upon the fact the division they were attached to headed to Berlin. Whether or not the British members were with them is very debatable at best as the commanding officer - Steiner I think - considered them to be unreliable and more of a liability.
    Most reliable sources are of the opinion they headed west to avoid capture by the Russians which is borne out by the fact most of them were brought to justice by the British.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast