MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Browning Firearms Museum

Article about: Hi guys, I had nothing to do today so I decided to go downtown and visit the Browning Firearms Museum. John M. Browning, the grandfather of almost every American firearm you can think of, wa

Default Browning Firearms Museum

Hi guys,

I had nothing to do today so I decided to go downtown and visit the Browning Firearms Museum. John M. Browning, the grandfather of almost every American firearm you can think of, was born in my town (Ogden, Utah) and folks here hold him in pretty high regard.

The museum was fascinating. It was full of prototypes and rare variants of all sorts of guns. I didn't have much time, so I could only get pictures of the really good stuff, but I focused on the WWI and WWII stuff for my forum friends. Unfortunately, the lighting wasn't the best, so my photo's aren't 5-star quality. They should suffice, though.

To start off, here's a shot of the museum upon entry:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Browning Firearms Museum

John M. Browning's first patented firearm. Also pictured is a rifle made by Jonathan Browning, John M.'s father, in 1879.

The original Browning semi-auto pistols, as well as John M. Browning's pocketknife!

Great looking museum.
    i need to go see it next time I am in the area.
    Thanks for posting.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Some more early automatic firearms. The shotgun is toggle-action. It's a rather ugly gun, in my opinion...

Here is my favorite shotgun of all time: the Auto 5. Pictured here are the second and third models. Also pictured is a really nice M1910 (I believe?) of Belgian make. I think it was an FN M1910 pistol that was used to assassinate Archduke Franz Ferdinand in 1914.

The stamps are originals used by Browning until 1900!

The highlight of the museum (for me, anyway) was this particular BAR on the top. What's so special about it, you might ask? It's BAR #1! That's right, the first f****** BAR ever made! I must have drooled over this thing for a full 10 minutes!

The curator explained to me that this was the first BAR that Browning used in trials in 1917. When he encountered ejection issues, he filed down the receiver by hand. You can see where he filed it in the last photo.

The bottom is a 1917 top-ejection model. It's still cool, but no BAR will ever beat BAR #1...

Imagine if American soldiers would have ended up with these during WWI?

I decided to get some good photos of this section, since I know that there are a lot of Hi-Power fans on the forum.

Something interesting I learned at this museum was that the famous M1911 was actually also invented by Browning. Here are a variety of interesting handguns:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast